cream and scuttles

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by greenhorn, Apr 11, 2010.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

I face lather with a brush. It is kind of disapointing when I lather up for the second pass and the brush is cold. Does a scuttle work with creams?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Depends on the type of scuttle. If it's the vintage type with the drain holes, no.

If it's the modern type, really a bowl within a bowl, then no problem. Either whip up your lather right there in the bowl, or face lather away. Just rest the brush in the bowl to keep it warm.

3. Gunky

Gunky Member

I just splash on some warm water, I don't have a real need for a scuttle...however they are tempting...

4. raffijian

raffijian New Member

I use the Moss scuttle and it works fine for me.

Keep in mind it will be lukewarm, not hot.

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I was actually eyeballin the Redneck Scuttle at Walmart the other day. It's actually a self watering violet pot but looks like it would work wonderfully as a scuttle. The price was certainly right for $5 or so. I then set about searching the homewares section for one of those little electric plug in water boiling pots but was only able to locate cappucino, frappacino and Al Pacino machines for a hundred bucks and change :mad:. I lost the battle but am determined to win the war. I'm thinking about in the Fall, rigging up this gear and taking my first plunge into the classic shaving cream world. I will likely remain a face lathering soapaphile the rest of my life but hey...variety is the spice of life.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I got a violet pot GI and it is great, Wally World has them out by the lawn stuff, weedeaters, not out in the nursery.

I thought I'd stay with soap too before I used SC. Be careful and don't buy too much or else you may be stepping out on the SS a little more frequently than you would have thought. They ar eboth good but I have come to prefer SC over saop. Tomorrow is VDH day though.

7. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Please look at the Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle. If you face lather or use a mug/soap, Julie's brush scuttle is great a great place to hold the brush and give warm lather. It is reasonably priced and is of great quality.

8. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

When I first started wetshaving I lusted over the moss scuttle. No way in hell I was going to pay that price though.

I found a robert becker scuttle on ebay that was 18 dollars and enjoyed using it. It worked well, but I ended up getting rid of it

It was an extra step in the morning that I didn't have time for.

I prefer to face lather

9. Shaving scuttles are a great way to keep soaps and creams warm.
    But as was mentioned above, not the ones with the holes in 'em.

I have used a Georgetown scuttle and a large moss scuttle. The moss scuttle works fantastically for keeping lather nice and hot, but it can dry out your lather pretty quickly. I usually end up with the remains of what used to be a gorgeous meringue at the bottom of the scuttle. No real worries, but you have to add more water and work up your lather again.

Using a scuttle is great, but I think for me its more of a novelty item. Its daily applications are designed for someone who has more time than I do, I suppose. Although, its great on the weekends.

10. BrianDiPalma

BrianDiPalma New Member

My thoughts exactly!

11. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Love my scuttle.

12. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I bought one of those and it works well but my meat hooks are just a little too big for it... the redneck scuttle I mean. I looked around for an electric kettle like you were looking for and never found one so I ordered one from amazon. It was less than $20.

13. Junior

Junior New Member

Could someone post a picture of the "Redneck Scuttle" from Walmart please? I can't quite picture what it looks like. Thanks!

14. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member