Dirty Bird Pottery

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by revtriplep, Apr 13, 2010.

1. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Ordered an $18 shave bowl from dirty bird pottery. I placed the order 6 1/2 weeks ago and still havn't received it. I called them about 2 weeks ago and was told it would be sent out in about 7-10 days but like I said, it's now going on its seventh week. Is this normal? Does anyone know?:confused:

2. wazazzle

wazazzle New Member

Way back in hs pottery class it took 1day to make a "recreational" pipe and ash try. I dunno the seller, but it sounds like someone forgot about you. It should only take a few hours to clay something up and toss it in the kiln. Best of luck

3. gsurko

gsurko New Member

I've never had a problem with this vendor. It did take awhile to get my scuttle. Well worth it.

4. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

She usually waits until her kiln has enough items to fire up. but 7 weeks does sound like a long time. have you tried to contact her to see if she has had equipment problems or something?

5. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Thanks for the responses

6. timj219

timj219 Member

There are probably two firings involved and both wait for a full kiln.
    Throw the bowl and, if dry enough, trim the same day. If it has a handle add an extra day because it has to dry more slowly to prevent cracking along the join.
    Wait for bowl to dry completely - at least one additional day possibly two
    First (bisque) firing - at least one day
    Glaze and let dry - one day
    Glaze firing - two to three days

So if everything went perfectly (never happens) the absolute minimum time would be seven days if the skuttle is being made for you from scratch. And three to seven weeks would not be at all unusual. But having said that, if this is a fairly standard item, I would expect the vendor to always have a few in the pipeline or even ready to ship. Certainly under normal circumstances there should be a stock of them that are bisque fired and just need glazing and final firing.

7. mudslinger55

mudslinger55 New Member

Delays

Hi, guys. Sounds like an explanation is warranted here. Because I'm a solo operation and you guys are keeping me hopping I'm really not able to build up stock. I usually throw extras, but by the time they're through the 2 firings, drying time, etc. they're spoken for.

Recently I've had a craft show and some elderly mother issues to deal with, but I'm back on track now and have about 30 pieces that'll be mailed in the next couple of days.

So sorry for the delays. My usual delivery time is still about 3-4 weeks.

8. wolfmanxiii

wolfmanxiii Member

I don't think my wait time was as long as yours, but I had been wondering. I had a customized scuttle being made for me though so I figured it would be a while. Next time just email Julie, that's what I did, and she got back to me promptly and told me about the craft show etc. You should also get an email notification from PayPal that your item has been shipped if that's how you paid. I actually just got my notification today so I'm gettin' excited :D
    It takes a while, but man a custom piece at her prices is well worth it! Ya know what they say: Good, fast, and cheap...pick two. :happy088