need a legal question answerd

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by traditionalist, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Understood.

Not 100% sure what I would have done if I had been in that position. Being caught unaware, especially when applying for a job, can be difficult.

But..........I would be changing all my passwords and such once I'd had a chance to mull it over, like 5 seconds after walking out of the interview.

Now, as a mod, I feel I need to ask if you gave them your login info for TSD. Can't say we, the mods, would do anything if you did, but it is probably for the best if we know someone else might access your account here.

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Okay, I may be totally off base here, but...

What if said Sherrif's Dept. interviewers were more than a little naive about FB and social networking websites in general? I wonder if all they really wanted/needed was your user name so they could go have a look at your profile and such? I can't think of a single reason (valid or invalid) that they'd need your password too.

Well, I can think of one reason - law enforcement officers tend to enjoy practical jokes. Having your FB password - to cause you grief later on...

3. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

no i didnt give them TSD info. she only asked for myspace and facebook stuff. :D but yeah a really diff. spot to be in for sure.

4. Queen of Blades

Good to know. Thanks.

5. traditionalist

no...they specified user name AND password. now i did find out from a friend who worked in HR dep. 2 or 3months ago that if i didnt sign anything saying its ok for them to log in and all that (and i dont think i did because i read every little word on everything) then i could sue them later and there would be a fat chance in h*ll i would win and i wouldnt have a job.

6. traditionalist

not a problem. love this site. lol

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Fascinating...

So, did you land the job?

8. traditionalist

not sure. she said i looked good and i have a good chance. we will know may 10th. there is a class starting on that date.

9. Queen of Blades

Well, good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed till May 10th. :happy088

10. traditionalist

thanx. :)

11. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yep, best of luck to you!

12. traditionalist

thanx. i hope i get it.

13. RacerX

RacerX New Member

I would tell them I don't have an account at either site, ( I don't )

but how would they know if you told them you didn't?

this is a slippery slope we are on, and it's gotten worse over the last few years.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

What if you use the same password for several accounts, like banking, and ebay, etc? They can log on and use your stuff.

Home of the (used to be) free and the home of the brave.

15. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I'm having a great deal of trouble with this ever growing trend of business, big or not, insisting to control every aspect of their employees. As stated above, my wife had a blatent infringement of her 1st amendment right by having her boss to tell her to remove a post from her FB account (a very public forum), or risk losing her job.
    I recall a time when I was working, that we were having a meeting with the Big Boss, and we were told that we were the best thing since sliced bread. Then, the economy takes a dump and budgets crumble, then our motivational speech from the same guy was "Be glad you have a job". At that point in time, I stood up and stated," Of course we're glad we have a job, but we are here by choice. We could work anywhere, but chose this place". The room became very quiet, and I was sure that was my last day there, even though it wasn't.
    It's an employers world right now and they don't seem to care what rights they infringe upon, or how deeply they feel the need to intrude into the private lives of their employees. First thing that comes to mind for me when I hear these atrocities are, "Hiel Hitler" . Jesus, have we really come to this?
    Makes you think, doesn't it?

16. Gambrinus

Gambrinus Member

Add in the Patriot Act and they can wire tap your phones, GPS track your Cell and hack your E-mail. All without a warrant or reason. Fear is a powerful tool.

17. Queen of Blades

Excuse me but, we're talking employers, you're talking government. So, no, "they" can't.

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    OK I am a little naive here, but can't you just go and change your password????

19. Gambrinus

Gambrinus Member

Thought part of the point was that the government was allowing this:confused: Sorry:confused:

20. Queen of Blades

Not that many places are doing this. Yet.
    So, no, the government hasn't stepped into this particular arena of allowing or disallowing.