Red Personnas

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Flying Frenchman, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Hello Gents,
    Here to ask a bit of advice. Tonight was my first time using a Red Personna blade. Going through my WCS sampler pack. I was using a Muhle R106.
    Maybe it was a bad blade. Maybe it was an error on my part. All I know is that I definitely did not get as smooth of a shave as I did from my Astra SP's. I'm sure that somebody has used these before, I was just wondering if they took a shave or two before they get a little smoother. I keep reading that they're good blades, I don't want to discount them just yet because of one bad experience.

thanks, Kyle TFF

2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I've had a similar experience with my EJ DE87. They seemed a bit rough to me compared to a Derby. But they work well in my 40's SS.

3. Thanks! I think I'll stick to the Astra's for the Muhle. I'll try the Personna's in the Slim that I'm getting though to see if it makes a difference in the adjustable.

4. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've had no problems with the Red Personna blades. I prefer them over the Derbys and many other blades. I've just gotten my 4th smooth shave from a Slim with a Personna this evening which is rare for most blades I've tried.

Maybe you got a bum blade. Go back and try them again after a bit and see if they still don't agree with you.

5. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I'm more or less lucky to be able to use almost everything except Feathers......

And since I only have Mühle or D.R. Harris razors with EJ heads, those are the razors I put my blades in.

I have to watch my technique carefully when using Red Personna's but the shave is as good as it is with comparable blades from different brands.

6. geogaga

geogaga Member

Same here for the first time using Red Personnas in Merkur 34C. But next time I gave it a second chance, it performed well. As opposed to Astras, which I find very rough and tuggy.

7. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

Red Personnas are my go to blade.

I use them in my Gillette NEW.

I use a 2 pass (WTG, XTG) to get a really good smooth shave every morning!

8. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Red Pers. are my go to blade when I want a smooooth shave. Astras are rough on my face for some reason. RP loaded in my Merkur Futur, oh yea, smooth as butter. Everybody is different. You will eventually find a blade that works well for you no matter what razor you use.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Red IP's are one of the most forgiving blades out there, in just about any razor.

Work on your lathering, or prep better!

10. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Red Personna in a Merkur Progress is wonderful. I'll buy a pack of Feathers just to see what the fuss is about, but I can't imagine that this blade will please me any more.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Red IP + Muehle Pinske r89 (open comb, Fatip head version) = easy, irritation free, no nick shave. It's the perfect combo for me.

12. Okay, so finally had a moment.
    I took a second shave with the blade the other day and it went a lot better. The shave was just as close as the first one but felt a lot smoother, and my alum block was telling me a lot less irritating as well.
    I guess it was just my prep or angle that was off the first time :ashamed001
    Thanks for the advice everybody though!

13. DesertTime

I believe most people, myself included, found other blades that worked just fine with our technique. So I'm trying to figure out just how "technique" fits into this particular equation?

I've seen that same argument used before for any number of shaving items and, frankly, I think it's inappropriate in most cases -- especially so when it comes to blades.

14. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

From my personal point of view, different blades perform differently.....

Sometimes I need to adjust my pace during shaving, sometimes I have to hold the razor in a different angle in order to have a smooth shave. Personally I consider this as shaving techniques......

If my assumption is incorrect regarding this, then I use the phrase "technique" unjustified :ashamed001

15. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well for one, some blades *those that are seemingly sharper* let you get away with half ass-ed shaving angles and you can shave more "Sloppy" so to speak...

I know when I use KAI, its effortless, just put the razor to my face, call it a day...

16. DesertTime

No doubt Red Personnas are the best possible blade for some folks. And that's good. I like them myself in my 40's SS. But I don't buy the argument that if someone doesn't rate them as the best for them, then it's an issue with their technique -- proper lathering and prep in the post I quoted. I think skin type, beard texture and razor would likely be bigger factors than technique.

I'm wary of absolutes in general, and especially when it comes to shaving products. There are just too many wonderful products out there.

17. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Agreed 100%, I think I'll probably stick with these blades because they work best for me. I use a Merkur Progress.

18. DesertTime

I feel the RAD coming on for a Progress. When you start reading the reviews and staring at the pics on WCS, you know you're doomed.

19. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I didn't like the Red personnas in the 34C either!

For the R106 I recommend to try an irdium blade! If you have it in the pack.
    Or exercise a bit more(1 month or so), THEN try the Feather :cool:.

20. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I have been wanting to try these blades but they were not part of my first sample pack. I have settled on Astra's and ordered 100 of them from Bullgoose and so far they have given me great shaves. I keep hearing so much about these Red Personnas that I keep thinking I should give them a go. Maybe my next sample pack of blades will have some in it. If I can convince SWMBO that even though I like the Astra's I still need to try other blades.:D