VB or SRD Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by swarden43, Apr 23, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm venturing into the world of str8s, so I'll be needing a strop.

I'm looking at the 2" Red Latigo at both Vintage Blade and Straight Razor Design. Any difference besides $45 at VB with D-ring handle and $50 at SRD with the leather handle? Should I go 3"? Should I be looking at something else?

I've ordered from VB before, so I know they have great service.

I'll be sending a few razors out to be honed. I've heard nothing but praise for Lynn Abram's work. Are there any other hone-masters I might get in touch with?

2. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I'd definitely recommend the 3". I've heard nothing but good about SRD's strops and it would be a great start. Unfortunately, I can't speak intelligently about the Vintage Blades strop. I've been eyeballing that modular paddle from SRD recently. Quite a bit of money but it really would be cat's a$$. It comes with the diamond spray and two wool felt surfaces in addition to two leather surfaces for daily stropping. You could actually spray down the felt for touch up hones and do daily stropping stropping in one fall swoop. Even though the purchase price is just south of $90 up would probably save a little money over buying a separate hanging strop to grease down with goo and do touch up hones on.

3. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I use straights. I went to a leather shop and had the guy cut some leather for me and I glued it to a paddle that my brother in law made for me. I sanded it down with a very smooth paper just to take the shine off it. On the backside, I put some balsa wood that I also sanded down and put some CrOx on it. This homebrew paddle strop works very well for me.

Now, I just sent an old Torrey razor out to http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/ I've seen the pictures he posts of his work and it's awesome.

4. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I think they are the same strop, but just with different logos and I have heard that as well. Royalshave also sells that strop.

D rings versus having a paddle is just personal preference. I prefer the D rings and they are cheaper. My favorite strops don't have anything to hold onto.

I started out with an Illinois 827 and many guys agree that it is a good mid level strop and it has a linen side for 40 dollars. Its also harder to put major nicks into it.

If I had it to do over, I would just buy a TM with linen and buy the practice strop he includes for 8 dollars. I like my practice strop just as much as my 90 dollar TM strop.

Glen from Gemstarcustoms.com is my preferred honemeister if I'm not doing it myself.
    He has full sets on Naniwa, and Shaptons, Norton 4/8k, coticule, etc, and knows what he is doing.

Be careful who you choose to hone your blade because their are many guys out their charging that shouldn't be. Glen and Lynn are both safe bets

5. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Get them from Tony instead: http://www.shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

Can't speak for VB but why go elsewhere when "modular" strops were Tony's original idea to begin with.

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Agreed. I've got one of Tony's heirloom strops; it's top notch. Lot's of great choices and a business model that's outstanding.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Gotta like a guy who's not ashamed of the Gospel. Looks like he's booked until mid-May. I'll have to give him shout and see what he can do for me. Thanks!