Reload an original injector magazine?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by stingraysrock, Apr 26, 2010.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good Morning Everyone.

I had my first shave with a Shark blade in my SS RT knock off last night. I did a three pass; WTG, AXG, and ATG. (I might have my abbreviations wrong...) The Sharks worked okay, but I need to continue to refine my technique because I managed to cut myself pretty nastily on the across the grain pass on my right cheek bone. That, or my razor is junk (I have three Gillette's coming in the mail though) or most likely both.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is that I REALLY like my G Type Schick Injector VERY MUCH and to that end, I have searched the forum here and have not found a clear example of how to reload an original style Schick Injector magazine. I bought a few close-out boxes of the CVS brand plastic magazine blades, but the injector magazine is just plain junk. I have the original brass injector magazine that came in the box with my G type, but I can't find out if it was ever meant to be reloaded in the first place, or whether or not it can be reloaded. Google has not been much of a help in this area.

Any ideas?

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Yeah you can reload them. You gotta stick a paperclip or something in there to push the spring loaded metal platform down so you can slide the new injector blade in.
    OR, you could pull the blade out of the crappy plastic case, use the key from the good injector blade case to hold the head apart on the injector so you can slide the new blade in with your fingers, or with needlenose pliers.

Recklesstr likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thanks. I looked down in there and in fact tried a paper clip and a fork to hold that spring. I got one blade in, but it jammed so I could not follow it up with another. But I see the idea with using the key to open and slide from the other side. I will try that. Thanks much.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've read of people doing this, and once spent about 15 minutes trying to get it to work with even one blade, but it kept jamming, and I eventually gave up. I may try it again some time with a different original magazine, as there may have been something wrong with the one I was trying to reload.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

If it is one of the old brass kind, you should be able to gently bend the tab on the rear of the magazine that keeps the top piece in place, fill er up with the new blades, and gently re-assemble it.

That's what I did with 2 of mine, being sure that when I bent the tab back in, it was just enough to hold it in place. That way when I need to do another refill, It will be just a very slight amount of bending on the tab to keep it from breaking.

I know eventually I'll need to replace the brass magazines when the tabs break, so I try to keep the movement to a minimum.

6. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

7. Yeah, this is what I do...they aren't too bad

8. Skipnord

Skipnord New Member

For what it's worth, I just bought Schick injector blade in a metal magazine, branded Schick, at my local Rainbow (Roundy's) grocery store. They loaded with only a slight bit of "stickyness", and shaved super!
    Skipnord

9. Slivovitz

Yes, the modern Schick magazines are fine, and by the way, you're lucky to have a local store that sells them. The problem is with the different varieties that have a partially plastic magazine, CVS, Personna, Meijer, Pella, etc., very likely all Personna under different labels. The blades are good, but the magazines are junk, which is why people want to reload the blades into the all metal ones. The up side is that the blades are cheaper than Schick, at least while they're still available.

10. Slivovitz

Success

I succeeded in loading about 5 Pella blades in a modern Schick magazine. Earlier in this thread I reported having problems, but the magazine I was trying to load into was a vintage, older style Schick.

Then I verified that I could use the reloaded magazine to load a blade into a razor, and it worked. I'll probably continue to do this, a few blades at a time. I've discovered that the key in the newer half plastic magazines won't fit in one of my injectors, a Pal Adjustable.