Need help ID'ing a Wade & Butcher

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by roosclan, Apr 26, 2010.

1. roosclan

roosclan New Member

This weekend I managed to score a Wade & Butcher straight razor with some Masonic etching on it for what I think was a fairly low price at an antique store. The problem I'm having is figuring out exactly what I have. I know it's a Wade & Butcher made in Sheffield England, it's a thick blade (9/8 or 8/8 -- I'm not certain), and it's really old with Masonic etching on it. One scale is brown, the other is black, both appear to be wood. Pins look like brass, from the green gunk on them. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Can anyone help identify what exactly this is, when it was made, what the scales are made of, etc.? I have a multitude of pics, so if this isn't enough, I can post more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I can't help you out with the etching, but I do know I have seen a ton of W&B, but have never seen this one before.

Nice score, tell whomever restores this to preserve the etching

3. roosclan

roosclan New Member

That's for sure! I honestly don't know if I will use it or not. I inherited a Wostenholm & Sons IXL razor from my grandfather-in-law that I plan on using when I move to straight shaving (just getting into DE shaving at the moment). This one seemed like such an unusual thing that I couldn't pass it up.

4. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

the black side is horn. the brown side looks like wood

I like it :)

5. olafurson

olafurson Member

Oooh, purdy!

6. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Wow! That is one of the most beautiful and unique blades i've seen in a while. Definatley preserve that one well it's fantastic.

7. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Nice chopper for sure. If you don't shave with it, you could probably quarter a cow in less than five seconds with that monster :D It will also be useful in removing that pesky oak tree in the front yard that threatens to cave in your roof every time a big storm comes :D

But seriously, beautiful razor and as has been said the etchings make it even more unique. My guess is that it is quite old as well.

8. roosclan

roosclan New Member

Apparently they changed from a wedge design to a hollow ground at some point. Maybe this will help me figure out just how old this thing is.

Is this a wedge, or hollow ground? My thought is it's a wedge, so when did they change?
    [​IMG]

9. hoglahoo

Every razor has some level of grinding. Based on manufacturers' labels through the decades it appears that the term "wedge" was used more loosely as grinding techniques improved. In the earlier days such as when your razor was made, "hollow ground" and "full hollow ground" labels were used to describe razors that many folks today would call a wedge

So no matter your perspective I think you could say you have a lightly ground razor that is close to a wedge, or a wedge razor that is slightly hollow ground. Maybe some would call it a quarter hollow or nearly a wedge, but I think many folks would be comfortable calling it a wedge too. The picture says more than the imperfect naming conventions can :)

I'd venture a guess of 1860s to 1880s for your razor having been forged and ground. Grind alone doesn't really say much when it's close to a wedge like that - that sort of grind is still produced today by many of the small manufacturers. But the razor bears many other clues as to its age: The inscriptions on the tang, the general shape of the blade, its size, the style of the tang and tail, the featured design on the face, etc as well as the scales style, pins, spacer, etc. can together help point to a general time period.

10. roosclan

roosclan New Member

Thank you very much! Is there a source of info for old Sheffield cutlery/razor companies so I can research this?

11. hoglahoo

primary sources I know of are scattered around. if you're confined to the internet, you can browse google books for some good info on Wade & Butcher

The straightrazorplace forum often offers great info on old manufacturers - as an example I pulled this link from the wade & butcher page in the wiki over there. It's a pretty neat read describing some of the tools and methods the W&B makers used: http://arcus.group.shef.ac.uk/displaypanel/Butcher_Works_Panels_1-7.pdf

The most complete info source for many different manufacturers I know of when it comes to trademarks and brands is the Goin's Encyclopedia. It covers many different companies and brands, often listing dates of operation and different marks those companies used. have fun looking around and please share anything interesting you find! A lot of old info is hard to find, incomplete, or lost for good.

12. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

I believe the date goes back to 1820-30. Placing just the "Sheffield" w/o "England" following was standard back then. But I may be wrong.:confused: