Variety of soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by basil, Apr 27, 2010.

1. basil

basil Well-Known Member

howdy all

hope you all had a wonderful shave this morning

i just have a few random soap questions that i hope can create a bit of a discussion

ive been shaving with the can stuff for a while now (nivea cream its my fave) but the other day i bought a whole bunch of soap pucks to try them out... i just wanted your guys opinions to see which might be better than others

so far the soaps that i have are:

Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna and Sandalwood
    D R Harris Lavender
    Muhle Buckthorn and Sandalwood
    Colonel Conk Bay Rum

So far ive olny used the C&E sienna one and i had a few issues working it up to a proper lather but practise makes perfect!

2. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

You have a bunch of very nice soaps there.. Ill say the Muehle or DR Harris is a tad better and the Conk a pinch lower in total goodness.. Keep it up - you get the hang of lathering in a blink of an eye.. Keep trying.. Start with less water is as far as I think the easiest way.. Add more along the way to reach top notch lather..

3. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I was in shoppers drug mart today and saw they have the poraso shave stuff on sale. Was thinking about getting a tube or tub, are they any good?

4. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

You get a decent set of soaps.

The DR Harris soap is probably your best soap.

The C&E makes a hell of a cream, but their soaps are a decent product IMO.
    YMMV

Get some Tabac

5. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

QUOTE-I was in shoppers drug mart today and saw they have the poraso shave stuff on sale. Was thinking about getting a tube or tub, are they any good?

You have to get some Proraso, I highly recommend it.
    The menthol effect is fantastic.
    I use the Proraso Shave cream and the Shave soap Green tub.
    Both are great
    They also have a white tub for sensitive skin at Shoppers.
    Shoppers also carries Nivea shave cream which I use in my rotation.
    Unfortunately we have a limited selection in the stores here in Ontario.
    I have a Proraso aftershave splash on order from the USA.

If you like the menthol cool burn then direct yourself to the TSD Store and purchase Sub Zero with menthol, JoAnna (Queen of blades)will set you up.
    I believe a percentage of each purchase goes to supporting
    TSD

6. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

soaps

My favorites are now the creams after using the soaps forever. Taylor Sandalwood, Tabac, and Proraso are at the top of the list. The Sandalwood because my wife loves the fragrance, the Proraso for the cool menthol glow and refreshing feeling, and the Tabac for the rich and immediate lather plus fragrance. The Conk amber and the lavendar soaps were not in the final cut of favorites.::lam

7. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

You should try Ogallala Bay Rum shave soaps. They are priced right and the lather is excellent! John Marquis is also one of the nicest guys you'll meet! He always gives you a little extra when you order.http://www.ogallalabayrum.com

8. charismata

charismata New Member

Good advice there. I recommend practicing in the kitchen when you aren't even planning on shaving. That way you will take your time and focus on the lather.

Start with a very small amount of water and continue to add small amounts of water when the lather starts to get thick. You'll have a bowl full of lather before you know it. Then keep whipping it to see how thick and creamy you can get it to go.

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

If you want to get a nice rotation of Soaps in addition to your existing ones, I would go for the cult favourites of Tabac (I have used it and I agree it is a benchmark) or MWF/Kent, I have yet to use it but so many forum posters can't be wrong and it's very good value for money. I would also recommend a Shea Butter French soap - Pre de Provence and Provence Santé (my favourite) , or Institut Karité. Then when your feel like treating yourself or have a hot date with SWMBO :happy102 - a Floris or an AOS.

10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

i think my favorite soap is my gft Coconut soap or DR harris lavender... those work wonders for me and im able to lather them up the best and fastest