Feathers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by revtriplep, Apr 28, 2010.

1. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Shaved with my first Feather blade in my Futur on Sunday morning. Great BBS, anyone know on average how many shaves one can get out of a Feather? Shaved three times now and still pretty sharp?

2. The number of shaves a person gets out of a Feather is largely debateable.

A lot of people get 2 shaves out of a Feather and thats it. Personally, I can get something in the neighborhood of 10. They are my go-to blade and I think they shave perfectly. When I shave with a DE, I use a Feather in a Merkur slant.

The verdict is still out on why there is such a huge gap in opinions on the efficacy of feathers. Personally, I think it has something to do with the coarseness of the beard, the angle of the blade, and the type of razor... perhaps any or all of those factors can dull a feather or keep it sharp, but no one has been able to say for sure.

If they work for you and you get a lot of shaves out of a blade, that's really fortunate for you because you can look forward to a lot of really great shaves with them. Some people just aren't able to experience that with a Feather.

3. beyboo

beyboo New Member

10 if a prettty good number. I get around 3 shaves before I have to chuck them. Have you tried the 7 O'Clock super platinum black ?? I get around 6-8 shaves and it is a very smooth blade.

4. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

I would agree with Zen Master's statement, I think it has mainly to do with the coarseness of one's facial hair. Feathers are what I pretty much stricly use now and I find I can get about 3-4 shaved on average. I have to say the only otherblade that I have used that can come close is the Crystals.

5. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I get only 2. And I don't really like the second shave. I think I expect the blade to be really sharp. But I guess a Feather used twice is like a Derby..