overall manliness

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, May 8, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

I have a question. What is the manliest safety razor to add to your daily rotation ? Something that Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris would be proud to use. Vintage or new doesn't matter. It should cause razor envy in men and fear in women and children.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

New, probably the Merkur Slant.
    Vintage, maybe a Fatboy set at 9.

Just guessing.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Broken beer bottle. :rolleyes:

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Ummm, a broken Slant with a rusty blade?:D

Seriously, If machismo were a factor I'd forget about safety razors and learn to use a straight. As it is, I'm more concerned with how well a razor works than anything else.

If you want man points outside of this forum, just using any DE or SE should help; people think they're dangerous. When people find out that I use "grandpa" razors, that's one of the first things they say. That, and they don't believe that it can possibly shave well.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Straight razors ain't all that scary, either. It can't hurt you, you can hurt you.

6. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

The gas fumes in the bathroom may be a bit much.

Attached Files:

7. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I used to shave with a few Gold Gem Micromatics, I picked them up not because of their "manliness" but because they looked really "antique-ee" and was curious if they could shave as well as a contemporary (ie.. mult-bladed cartridges). They shaved even better. But be careful, they require a little learning and a light hand and a different angle than Today's razors.:)

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Lather Catcher gets my vote for all time coolest...and also deadly looking...serious business...

9. I think that safety razors by themselves scream "manliness"...unless it is one of the pink gillettes;)

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

hmmm... clint eastwood I don't know about, but Chuck Norris would use a belt sander. While fighting commies with his right foot. And balancing on his left while checking the shave in the sideview mirror of a nearby pickup. All without breaking a sweat.

huck1680 likes this.
  11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

True, mention the fact that you use a "Sweeny Todd" razor and they look surprised that you aren't hospitalized. :happy102 :happy102. It's all a bunch of hype. Neither safety razors nor straight razors are dangerous if you have half a clue what you're doing but for some reason people seem to think they are absolutely deadly. When ever I mention a good straight razor shave at work, there's one guy that constantly says, "I can't believe you like those things. Just one false move and you'll slice your jugular vein and die. I don't know how smart it is to use a straight razor and I don't know why you'd want to." I keep trying to explain that the blade angle (no more than 30 degrees) really does prohibit serious damage (i.e. slice my jugular). Sure I may sustain the occassional nick but it's far from dangerous. But still he seems to constantly marvel at my daily feat of Russian Roullette at the sink. :D

12. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

The fiercest looking safety razor I ever had was a ShaveKing (since gone to another home). It was also one of the mildest - almost as mild as a Canadian Tech.

Best Regards

goshawk

13. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I'd say a Barbasol DE razor, the "floating blade" model. It's big, it's heavy, and boy is it aggressive!!

Pair it with a Feather blade and you're guaranteed to lose some skin!

14. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Chuck Norris doesn't shave - he kicks himself in the face.

I really do not know much about safety razors, I just posted to get that Chuck Norris joke in... ;)

James.

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

try shaving with just the blade.

16. newb

newb Resident Newb

I think the Ikon sthil prototype pictured is the manliest so far. But the IKONS all look like man tools. I can't wait till June. I'm on the waiting list.

17. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

...and we have a winner! :happy102

18. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I feel sorry for you if you need to gauge your manhood by the razor that you use.

19. newb

newb Resident Newb

:confused: You my friend, create some of the manliest razors I've seen so far. the Bull Mastiff XL Deluxe is one manly chunk of metal, heck even the name sounds manly.
    but Thanks for the sympathy, I think ? :confused:

20. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

them's fightin' words!