What do you do for diet and exercise?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Aug 2, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yeah, I mix it up with interval training later on. I sit behind a computer all day so this is my exercise for the day except for when I ride. I've got my body dialed in and know what and when to throw at it. The cardio is actually a strength routine in disguise. It's not as hard as you might think since it plays to my base strength. I'm still breathing mostly through my nose by the end of it. I have a training heart rate I follow and it's right on track. The last time I did this was before my accident when I had lost 42 pounds. I already have the healthier choice mindset going again. I believe in making better food choices and better portion control. The reason I don't do sprints is a) my knees and b) shin splints. My body is not ready for a pounding yet. The reason it took a almost week for me to get used to the weights is because it's been 3 years since I've done upper body weight training. So, strength now, cardio later as you suggested.

2. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

well, sounds good. I always have the best advice, I wish I could actually do it myself.. :) :) :)

I can't wait to get back on the mountains and snowboard again. I went from biking to and from work every day, season pass holder 3X a week riding after work , and one day on the weekend, to living in the tropics, surrounded by excellent food and sitting in desks, in front of computers. I have "clean your plate-itis" and so far knock on wood, a good metabolism, so I have not got out of hand too bad. But I would love to drop 20 lbs.

3. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Starting with a new health club this week. Old club annoyed me too much (long story). Now I get to do what I did before for part of my routine, which is punch a heavy bag and then a speed bag. A treat for before or after the weights or treadmill.

4. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Bro we are here to listen to ya story even if its long. no sweat at all ! if we can learn from your story the better.

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Long stories is what passes the time. Plus this thread is for personal health stories so share share share!

6. SSLSTudio...

Rebounder new equipment to my fitness routine.

building a fitness room in the garage its not too big so every equipment must have its own weight worth in Gold meaning good purpose for overall body training and lots of different excersizes to stress the body in ways it never gets used to a strict routine ,its good to stress the body in different ways so it learns quickly to adapt and get stronger.

The rebounder is such a machine you can do different excersizes on it

- Health bounce aka Baby Bounce gently massages whole body and reduces stress.

- Aerobic - tones the body oxygenates body.

- Calisthenics involves many different movements ,flexibilty is increased automaticaly and warm up is in the baby Bounce.

- Muscle Strenghtening (" Mighty Bounce " ) involves tightening up muscles and then jumping a little higher .

I have used the Cellerciser for two days now which is a similar device as a rebounder but I wouldnt want to call it a rebounder . I do feel my body is changing I do feel I get very sleepy from using it at night so my body is really tired.

I have to read all the books and pamflets that came with it. im NOT endorsing the Cellerciser at all you can get good rebounders one such other brand is Needak but do your research and make up your mind I will report my progressions from time to time .

Websites you can visit

-Cellerciser
    -Needak
    -info on a couple of rebounders -Jump4Health
    -Blindguru -lots of info on general health perceptions like juicers, rebounders, water purifiers etc..etc

for the time being the cellerciser stays in the living room winter is comming and training in the garage can be cold.

Attached Files:

7. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

I like to watch exercise informercials on TV when SWMBO is not around & I can relax.

The one's I like best are when hard bodied hotties do "leg lifts".

I could watch that all day.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Rene - are you planning on putting a rug under that thing, or some kind of protection from the wood floor.

I can imagine the plastic "shoes" on those posts will do a real number on that nice wooden floor :eek:

9. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Well, I didn't have time to type before...at work, you know.

Anyhow, my old club (Bally's) got bought out by two other clubs up here in Ontario. The two new clubs fought over which club would get which Bally's. I got the worse of the two new owners. Local club was an overcrowded mess, because the owners, before getting in any Bally's member overflow had bought out two other clubs in the area and moved them into the same space.

So when I went there for a visit, I saw basically a zoo. They were renovating and saying how the men's room would be so much bigger. Well, I don't go to a club to hang around the men's room.

Found my new club a while back. I liked it because it wasn't pretentious with everyone dressed up like an exercise fashion model. Also because it had a really nice set of free weights, and a boxing ring and some bags upstairs.

So I finally went in to cancel my membership at my old club. Said I wanted to cancel my membership at the place to the front desk person, she phones in to some manager somewhere. I go to sit down. Ten minutes pass. Meanwhile, there is a guy there gladhanding everyone who passes by trying to get them to take guest passes and give him the contact info of their friends.

I am finally fed up after twelve minutes and am about to leave when my cell phone notifies me I got a text message. The noise must have woken up the front desk girl, because she talks to the chatty guy and he comes over and introduces himself as the assistant manager. Who has no power to cancel my membership, but the manager can, but the manager is in a meeting.

I ask when the meeting is over, and he dances around basically telling me anytime from five minutes to the final heat death of the universe. So I leave and go to a nearby book store to pass more time away so I don't have to stick around.

I go back and see the girl again, and she phones the manager. Then I watch these three people in an office with glass walls (very trendy place), and then I put my MP3 player on after sitting there six minutes and tell myself, "This track ends, then I'm outta here." And, of course, one of the people in the group that finally leaves the office after what is obviously another IMPORTANT meeting (customers aren't important, but damn, those meetings sure are) comes over and is the manager.

So finally I get to talk to the guy. I basically want to punch him in the nose and leave, but I sit there and listen to how they are dropping so much money in renovations on their new purchases and how I would be a fool to leave. I give him my reasons for leaving, and then he says, "Well, why not put your membership on hold?"

By this time I have been dicked around for over an hour, so I say yes because I have other things to do and I figure I can go back in anytime in the next six months (the time over which the hold goes) and cancel for sure. And while we are going through the song and dance, he asks me in the middle if I want some guest passes for my friends.

Anyhow, old club: big and money-grubbing and trendy. New club: cozy and a bit beat up but a lot friendlier and has more stuff I want to use.

Phew! Told you it was a long story!

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks for the story. Sounds like a bunch of used car salesmen. Kill your old membership. You'll be glad you did. Take a look at your contract and see what the cancellation verbiage is and follow it to the letter. Get everything in writing. If they are taking the money out of your account automatically, do not kill the charges without first getting everything signed off by the old club. You'd be amazed what they could go after you for for breach of contract. Good Luck!

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

What a waste of time.. I am sure you will be glad to get out of there!

12. SSLSTudio...

David Hilarious story but did you get a cancellation of the membership in the end I couldnt quite conclude that from the end.

This remembers me of an hilarious phone call recorded by someone who wanted to cancel their AOL membership .

13. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

You have to learn to incorporate diet and excercise. That's why I eat everything I can, but as fast as I can. ;)

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

After a few days of reading reviews, information... getting a chemists degree so I know what they are made of :)rofl) I have decided that I am going to be joining Rene and buying a Cellerciser later today in an effort to also get back into shape.

Should be interesting for Rene and I to compare results and keep you guys informed on how we do! Once it arrives, let the fun begin! :D

15. Smedley

Smedley New Member

No, my membership is "on hold". They are taking one more payment out (because I put it "on hold" within some magic 14 day period), and after that payment goes out, I am walking in and cancelling.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Bad choice meal of the day. Huevos Rancheros for breakfast. But oh, so good.

Lunch (after exercise) will be roasted vegetables, lettuce and tomato on 100% whole grain wheat bread. Steamed rice and a low fat version of egg foo yung for dinner.

17. SSLSTudio...

really Late night excersize

it was late but I had to do it , I couldnt make room for it during the day.
    I will have to do this regime more often it feels like I did a marathon or some hammer hit me kinda feeling awesome .

1 AM in the night...I shall switch to getting up at 7am in the morning and do this regime instead...before breakfast or so.

-30 minutes beginner/intermediate Kundalini Yoga.

-10 minutes Rebounders excersizes.
    ( baby bounce for 2-3m)
    ( aerobic 2-3m)
    ( Jogging 2m )
    (chest press on rebounder 30(s)
    (abs sitting on rebounder with butt bouncing up/down 2m)

The Yoga part was pretty drastic for me offcourse I went way too hard and way too fast I havent done the Kundalini in a few months since my Yoga teacher left for Africa she gave me some DVD tapes so I could keep up so Im combining the yoga and rebounding . probably should have done 15m Yoga

Attached Files:

18. SSLSTudio...

Sofar I havent placed anyting under it , I mailed the inventor if its bad to place it like that he said it should be fine for the floor but if I was insecure I could place a rug or so he said.

Would be time to replace the floor anyways I have seen this now from 1983!
    would be nice to replace it with a more rustic old japanese kinda floor...

but ill keep an Eye on it TJ thx for the heads up...

19. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Loving the new health club. Smaller, friendlier, and has all the equipment I want to use (free weights, some treadmills, and heavy bags to punch). I am going regularly and actually look forward to it, in fact I crave it. Nice change from the major chain and their money-grubbing ways. Now I just pray that this club doesn't get bought out. :eek:

Also improving the diet and lowering calories by following eDiets. The thing I like about it is that it publishes a weekly menu plan and shopping list, and that it is teaching me about portion size. Also I get to track my weight and make weekly progress notes.

Really, the human body is an incredibly efficient processor of energy, only takes a few calories (relatively speaking) to run 500 metres compared to the amount of food you need to eat to replenish those calories.

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Glad to see you like like the new club. Makes life more enjoyable that way.

I'm still on track for 1 lb off per week of exercise. This is starting week seven. Wife says it looks like more but I know that is from firming up the abs with 40-50 inclined sit-ups 3 times a week plus the upper body weight training. The speed on my treadmill hill climbing program is high enough now that I can do some light jogs at the beginning and end of the program without killing my knees and shins. I figure at this rate, I may be able to pass the treadmill fitness test in another 6-8 weeks. Damn that test is tough.