Brewing coffee with spices

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Nograz, May 27, 2010.

1. Nograz

Nograz New Member

Has anyone ever brewed coffee with spices? If so what were the results? I had a cup of Turkish coffee today that I swear tasted like cardamom but the waiter said it was all in the beans.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think cardamon is added to turkish coffee during grinding or some other process , I don't think its simply the bean.

Of course thats not unique as you know chai tea has a real spice blend added to it, including cardamon and pepper.

I have a big grinder and added cardamon to the coffee as it was being ground , you could smell and taste the cardamon but the coffee was so so.

You could just cheat and go to a Middle Eastern food store and buy a bag of already ground turkish coffee and a turkish coffee pot. Together won't even cost $20.

I had the best cup of turkish coffee in a Turkish restaurant here in the states, tasty , rich and so thick you could almost chew it. Nice.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I occasionally add a cinnamon stick in with grounds when I have cheaper coffee. Not much for the Turkish coffee even though I like everything that goes into it.

4. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I haven't, but I have a pack of vanilla beans, and I have been considering adding a bit of one of those to a grind some time. Anyone tried that?

6. maierar

maierar New Member

Traditionally, for Turkish coffee, cardamon and sugar are mixed with the coffee and water in the ibrik and brought to a frothing boil 3 times. Then let the sludge settle and sip.

7. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

With a piece of baklava how could one resist.

8. maierar

maierar New Member

Why would one try?

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

From time to time I add a dash of McCormick's Saigon Cinnamon and a dash of salt to my coffee grounds before brewing it in my Bunn...it always turns out fantasmagoric!

I will never settle for less than my Bunn...although a French Press does very nicely when you are on vacation...

10. maierar

maierar New Member

Try a technivorm.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

During the holidays I may add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.