ASR going bankrupt

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Williams Warrior, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Just read on another forum the makers for personna blades and razors will file this week and are looking to sell the company. Since they lost the walmart contract they've been strugling to stay solvent. Don't know if this information is accurate but they were saying if you use se or injectors stock up on blades.

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Here is an actual link. It's worth noting that they are also makers of good generic cartridges for Trac II and Atra.

How this will affect the actual availability of these products is uncertain. Whoever buys the company will have to decide what they want to do. Personally, I have enough injector and SE blades to last me for my normal life expectancy, even without my occasional use of DE and cartridge razors. I'd like to see single edge shaving survive, though.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Does Ted Pella Company make their own blades? Or are they sourced from ASR?

4. Williams Warrior

asr makes ted pella and from what I've read they even make the schick brand.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The SE blades on the Ted Pella site have the Gem trademark, which means they are made by ASR. I assume their injector blades are also rebranded Personna blades, but the packages I have do not have any markings that would identify them as such.

I don't want to be part of a rumor mill that precipitates an unnecessary buying frenzy. The story about the bankruptcy is genuine, but how this will affect blade availability in the long run is something I just don't know. We can all make plausible guesses, but at this point, they are just guesses.

6. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

too bad they lost the contract with walmart. i wonder who walmart is going to replace them with? likely a chineese company.

i'm sure that the core razor buisness will survive bankruptcy. perhaps under a diffrent owner.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I was under the impression that the current Schick injector blades are Chinese made.

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Probably Dorco from Korea which did/does (Its been awhile since I bought a pack) Dollar General's blades, which was actually a slight improvement.

I'm pretty sure they're, last time I checked they weren't ASR...

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

How does this affect the other Personna DE brands like IP's...?? I know this is really bad news for the SE and Injector availability, but which DE blades will this remove from the market ?

10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

ASR doesn't even acknowledge making the Red IP's...

11. Williams Warrior

I just wanted to add that I'm not sure where schick injectors are made or who makes them, just what I read.

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

there's no guarantee this will remove any blades from the market. Time will tell.

13. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Planning for the worst but hoping for the best.

1 SE shave per week (dome on Sunday) X 10 shaves per blade (with hand stropping) = 6 blades per year

200 blades in a pack/6 blades per year = approximately 33 years worth of blades

I'm currently 47 years old 47+33= 80 years-old

I'm pretty sure that if I'm still vertical and respiring in 33 years, what little is left of my once thriving main will be just another memory.

14. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

More than likely, the bankruptcy will mean that the vendors will get screwed out of their receivables. The smaller bondholders will get screwed out of their investments. The employees will get screwed on wages, benefits and pension funds. Allowing the banks to "restructure" the debt and protect their stake in the company.

Any manufacturing left in the US will then be moved offshore.

With that debt burden reduced, the world can now buy cheap razors and blades with a viable profit margin to pay the bankers their interest on the loans they've issued.

Any questions?

15. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

16. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Diamondtim, I'm gonna call you Karl Marx, your policitical economic analysis is amazing!

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I seriously considered all you said, then I put my Pella order in anyway. The thought of running out seemed worse than the thought of maybe not out living 200 blades. These are, after all, my best blade.

19. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

Hanzo,

No, I'm not Karl Marx.:( In fact, I am the exact opposite, a free enterprise advocate. I've just lived long enough to see how some of the big corporate types play their game. Poker with the game rigged by their political harlots.

20. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I ordered 400 blades yesterday just in case:D