Best value Gillette OLD ever!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rockrabbit, Jun 30, 2010.

1. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

2. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I'm surprised the seller isn't "glaskow goodies"

3. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

And the seller say the razor is in excellent condition.:eek:

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

:happy102. But you must admit Glasgow does have the mouth watering razors, good selection always.

I was bemoaning the price of vintage razors but when I took a good look on ebay it was a pleasant surprise to see some desireable razors at okay prices, like a Gillette gold slim adjustable banjo offered sold for $33 , I found a chrome plated vintage Feather razor for $30. There a a slew of beautiful ancient lather catchers selling in the $30 range as well.

The many BIN prices of $125 to $200 for razors just didn't exist a few years ago , thats depressing , they are pricing my toys beyond me that way.

5. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

That's the bit that really shocked me!

Pretty sure he sprinkled some Crack with his cornflakes for breakfast!

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Wait for it , someone is going to say, its " a matter of simple supply and demand is all".

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    How bout you guys read the listing before breaking in with the usual spiel. :rolleyes:

8. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

Read it multiple times just to make sure...

definitely crack with the cornflakes..

how do you state that you have no idea what it's worth and then list it for $2000? :p

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

easy. it's all about hope. And a certain P.T. Barnum quote.

10. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

Right. this is a rare Double Ring in a very complete original package (mailer, original stamp, blade mail back envelope) according to the listing. While the silver plating is tarnished (normal), the plating looks at least good and the handle appears to be crack-free. While $2,000 is over the top, this is a very valuable razor. Much less complete versions, including uncased versions, routinely sell for $200+. I guess it depends on how close to the top end the buyer is willing to accept on the Make Offer. Somebody offering in the $400-500 range wouldn't surprise me.

11. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I offered $200 just so the seller might realize that it isn't worth the starting price and that they might accept a reasonable offer of say $400-500 form someone who wants it.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Because the seller doesn't want to get taken. And they are probably collecting offers. An auction minus the auction.

Whatever is going on, it would be nicer to clue the person in than to call them names, even if they don't see this thread. The seller may not even know they can use that razor still, and keep a cool family heirloom.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

it had better be the gold double ring in its tin for that kind of price.

14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That one cent Ben Franklin - worth a fortune!

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the value or supply of the various brands of DE's, but I do know a bit about pocket knives and other collectibles.. my dad was a collector of anything with a sharp edge on it..

The value to a collector is very different than it would be to a user/collector. To a collector, the underlying condition and possibly more important the completeness of the kit is critical (not sure about the value of the stamp :confused:). The tarnish is not an issue at all.

I have a few thousand folding knives and several hundred straight razors that were dad's collection. He was more of an appraiser/buyer/seller than a collector so I suppose what I have is really better called his inventory. The idea of posting an outrageous price with a Make an Offer option, is very interesting. I don't know the value of the items dad has and as noted elsewhere, this strategy is a great way to get a feel for the value and collect offers.. And, it just be working for this chap as I see he has lowered the price a bit.. I really like the strategy!

16. cutter

cutter New Member

This sale is a re-post. Originally went for much less.