Brush hanging solution

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by California Cajun, Jul 3, 2010.

1. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Some brushes I have will not fit the hangers available for sale on the internet. The only thing I could do was bend some coathangers out of shape (ignore the nerd behind the iPhone camera):
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, I could only find a store-bought stand for my smallest brushes. What bothered me besides the unsatisfactory way the coathangers looked looked is that one of them scratched the handle.

A wonderful surprise came in the mail today for my 4th of July weekend. I don't know if "Stubblefree" (Vijay) is a member of this forum, but look what he did for me:
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Back (notice the high-gloss finish):[​IMG]
    These were custom made to fit my brush size.
    I also received a shaving bowl:
    [​IMG]
    The raw materials used are actually coconut shells, and things like this provide a sense of warmth and relaxation to go along with your shaving experience. You can tell by the looks of these pieces that they are truly a labor of love.

I certainly am delighted with this new acquisition. A high five to a master craftsman!

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Looks better than my DIY stand :happy102

[​IMG]

3. Shavemark

Shavemark New Member

Those coat hangers!:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

4. California Cajun

I absolutely can't work with my hands. To give you an even bigger laugh, here's where I got the idea for using coathangers http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Razor-and-Shaving-Brush-Stand/. It instructs you to make a round base by wrapping the wire around a glass jar. When it did it I broke the jar!

Sure glad somebody was able to help me solve the problem. :happy102

5. Jason

Jason New Member

That is a great solution! I like the look of those stands. Real easy on the eyes. They are all coconut?? Wow. Don't break 'em! Just kidding.;)

6. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Brushes do not have to be hung upside down to dry. Moisture evaporates UPWARDS! Stand them on their base and they will be just fine.

St. Croix

7. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

Sodapopjones I like your aftershave dispenser. I never thought of making anything out of coconut shells, might have to buy some.

8. Sodapopjones

Hah, it really is a bottle of spray butter :happy102

9. sffone

sffone Member

So, where does the butter come in? Pre-shave prep, after-shave balm, or basic skin conditioner?:D

10. California Cajun

People disagree on how to store brushes. I side with those who advocate hanging them upside down because one person commented that he had a Kent brush rot at the knot and another said it retains its shape better when hung upside down.

11. California Cajun

Yes, everything is made of coconut shells. He sent me pictures at various stages of construction.
    Stage 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stage 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to make sure that the members and moderators of this forum don't think I'm displaying these things for the purpose of solicitation. I had a problem, found a solution, and thought others may be having this same problem.

12. He's using it Kosmo Kramer style to get a better tan after his shave :D

Those are beautiful shaving stands though! I love the contrast of having wooden and organic looking stands for tools. Especially like that bowl though! I face lather, but should I ever get my hands on a bowl like that I might be tempted to whip some lather up in a bowl.

13. Sodapopjones

Haha, I was just using the Kitchen to let the glue dry, but I bet it would make an awesome balm :D

14. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Nice stands and all but I like this method just as well and it is a whole lot cheaper. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=202756&postcount=5

Me, I just sit most of my brushes on their handle with the knot pointing up and let the dry. No problems incurred at all. And even more inexpensive than the method shown above.

15. I actually really like the look of the brushes hanging like that. Might look into setting up the den that way.