Razor Suggestions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by zimmy71, Jul 3, 2010.

1. zimmy71

zimmy71 New Member

I have been shaving with a Gillette Super Speed for the past month and half with blades from CVS. The shaves are not bad but have not met my expectations. I have a very course beard with very sensitive skin especially my neck area. It takes me three passes just to get a somewhat close shave. Before I received my super speed I was practicing with my Mach3 and to be honest those two shaves felt pretty good (No pain during and no razor burn after). My question are should I try new blades? Look into getting an Injector razor? Stick with the Mach3:confused:?

2. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

I would try some different blades. A blade sampler pack is good way to go.

3. geogaga

geogaga Member

I have the same setup of beard/skin. I started with Merkur 34C and till now it is my go-to razor. Try different blades, of course, but I personally can't get even close to Merkur's shave with the Super Speed. If I try I just get my skin irritated.

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

You need to try better blades for sure, but the Super Speed doesn't work all the well for me. Try a Slim adjustable or one of the older gillettes with an open comb

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Heh a 40's style notched SS, and a Red IP = the best shave of my life...

YMMV

6. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

I would go the sample pack route and try some new blades. A sharper blade and a light touch may solve your problem. Use short strokes.
    I tend to press harder and use longer strokes when using a multi blade razor.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Try some astra superior platinums or Lord platinums, both are excellent. I've used the astra in my 48-50 super speed all last week with great results.

8. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

:sihns011

Well, I don't know that any of us can guarantee that our favorite razors will be the solution for you. I know that for me, it doesn't get any better than an E or G type injector, or the Schick adjustable, and that includes all the difficult areas on my neck.

For that matter, better DE blades, a more aggressive DE razor, an SE razor, a straight, even better cartridges . . . I'm sure there are many solutions. I just put in plugs for injectors because somebody has to.;)

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah for sure get a sampler pack. I tried eleventy thousand different blades and settled on Dorco 301 and gave away all my other blades. then I tried a Feather and thought they were great, then I got hold of some Red IP's and thought they were good, then tried some Astra's and they are good too. Every time I think I have settled on a blade, something else comes along, and that is why this is such a great gig we have all found; a limitless choice of stuff!

Did I mention you should get a sampler pack?

11. zimmy71

zimmy71 New Member

Lol, I take it I should go with a blade sampler.... I threw the injector razor idea out there because I have read that it makes an easier transition from cartridges to saftey razors.