I am the injector killer

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by OldAF, Jul 7, 2010.

1. OldAF

OldAF New Member

OK. I admit it. I've destroyed two injector razors trying to clean them.

I bent the crap out of the spring on the first one trying to get it open. It was so deformed I just chucked it out. It was the kindest thing. Trust me.

On the second razor, I snaped the handle clean in half while attempting to move the spring.

It appears to me the spring should swing down to allow the razor to open for cleaning but I've discovered that is not an easy thing to do. Is there a trick?

Help me - save a razor.

2. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

what model(s)?

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

What type of Injector was it?

The Type E and older as far as I'm aware were the only ones meant to actually have the spring moved out of place by pushing up on the head and then moving the spring left or right.

You can do this on a Type G, but it usually bends something, so I tend not to bother with it.

Type G on the left, Type E on the right.
    [​IMG]

4. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Both G type. G1 and G8. There is a notch in the center of the spring and there is a tab on the razor that is centered in that notch. It looked to me like the spring should slide up over that tab and swing down in either direction. Easier said than done.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much... The tension is different on the Type G as well.

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Hmmm, and I advised someone on B&B today that they can open the type G.

I have done this, though, with all the type Es and Gs I have (3 Es, 4 Gs), which is rather more than I need. I use a jeweler's screwdriver to push the spring just far enough back that it will clear the tab. Then I push the spring counterclockwise. It takes considerable force to move it, but so far I have always succeeded. There was always quite a bit of gunk in there, which cleaned easily with Scrubbin' bubbles and a toothbrush.

Closing it up again isn't exactly easy either. Twice, the head was a little loose afterwards, and I carefully bent the spring slightly with a pliers to tension it up again. The other times it was okay.

So yes, you can definitely break your injector this way, and maybe I've had fools luck, getting away with it each time. On the other hand, I feel better about them knowing that I've gotten rid of the original owner's gunk, and from now on, will make an attempt to keep them clean enough that I don't need to do this again.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

This is why in 1954 they came out with the Hydro-magic I believe. It has the lever that you pull to release the head a little for cleaning...

8. OldAF

OldAF New Member

So am I to understand the type E was designed to open and the type G was not? They actually made the design worse? Retarded. No wonder I'm having such a tough time.

9. stingraysrock

I cannot answer to making the design worse...i just know that I have a Hydro-magic I am giving to SWMBO for her b-day that has the release catch so it can be cleaned...

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

They made the G type very difficult to open. For that matter, the later type Es have the same kind of spring retention, and aren't any easier.

They are nevertheless both quite possible to open, but as you've discovered, if you don't do it right, you can break them.

I do have one I2 Hydro-Magic. The head doesn't open fully as on the G type, but it loosens up so that it's easy to rinse out.

They eventually dropped the Hydro Magic design, too. With the L types and later, you just have to do the best you can without opening up the head.

11. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Well, yeah. Eventually they realized they had screwed up and fixed the mistake. In the meantime, how many customers did they lose because they couldn't properly clean their razor?

I know it is always easy to snipe with 20-20 hindsight and I suppose they somehow saved a couple of pennies in the manufacturing process but to my mind this was a real miscue.

Oh well. Water under the bridge. ;)

12. OldAF

OldAF New Member

I find that really tough to understand. I don't want one if I can't clean it. I guess I really don't want one that badly anymore. I do appreciate the information. Thanks.

13. stingraysrock

Maybe you might like the Cobra Classic...if you want to spend the cash???

14. OldAF

OldAF New Member

That really is a beauty but but I have to say no.

I had quite the week on fleabay. Three injectors, a few Gems, three Superspeeds, a Super Adjustable and a Fatboy are now mine.

So, one more injector to break. :rolleyes:
    Seller said the handle was navy blue but it looked black to me. A bit unusual I thought. Anyway, one more chance when it arrives.

15. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Don't boil them. I trashed an Schick doing that.

16. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

17. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Aha... I suspected it had to open a bit somehow. I've never seen one work so had no idea. Thanks for the pointer. This may work yet!

18. OldAF

OldAF New Member

Well, the blue handle G model arrived and I got it cleaned up... a metal skewer worked fine to hold it open a bit.

Took it for a test drive and it delivered a very nice shave.

I guess third time is the charm. :D