Friend got me interested....now learning...female

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by janboys, Jul 11, 2010.

1. janboys

janboys New Member

Hello all -

A good friend got me interested in all this in the beginning to help my teen boys, then the more we discussed the more interested I became.

I am mom to 2 boys ages 15 and nearly 19... just starting to get a mustache that needs to be tended to.

While I am learning tons from my friend, he recommended I come here to learn more.

So that is about it for me for now.

Smiles!:)
    Janboys

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :signs046 to The Shave Den!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Welcome to the Den.

Lot's of good folks here, if you have a question do not hesitate to ask.

4. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Jan is an old friend of mine. I've been putting together a nice little starter kit for her. I'm open to suggestions of what else to add. So far I have in the kit:

Blue Star Lady Gillette
    TOBS Avocado
    VDH Bowl & Soap
    Alum Block with case
    Nick stick from Pacific Shaving
    Omega 49 brush
    Blade Bank
    and a sample pack of blades from Bullgoose

Also for technique I'm kinda at a loss since I don't shave those areas myself. I'm kinda hoping that Joanna or on of the other women in the forums can help her there.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ahhh...Excellent, Bram! Good to see you, too.

Technique is the same as with a cartridge, except for the wetshaving mantra, "no pressure and proper angle". :happy088

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome to the Den!

7. AxelH

AxelH New Member

The Family That Shaves Together...

Wow. Those are some lucky boys. I started out with a Sensor Excel. A family member got a Mach 3 for me for Christmas, with the idea being that it would serve me well in a rush. But I've never had a time crunch that necessitated the Mach 3 over a good double-edge safety razor. Grand entrance into DE shaving with a real-life member of a shaving forum, your family is very lucky.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD! Looks like you're in good hands.

9. janboys

janboys New Member

Yes, I am sure I am in good hands, known Gelf Lover for a long time, he has already taught me a lot. Looking forward to learning more and actually trying it all out. Glad I will be able to also show to my boys.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

A former friend was raised exclusively by his mom. He was sad about having needed someone to teach him how to shave but no one could. A college Professor of his finally offered him help. His view was that he needed
    "manhood training", in the shaving arena as well as others. So teaching your son's this skill is no small thing. Good luck.

11. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

:signs046

12. janboys

janboys New Member

I raised my boys for 11 years solo and about to return to that status by the end of the year...I am glad I have male friends that are willing to help. If I can figure it out I can teach/support them as they learn...thankful for video conferencing so they can be shown as well. I homeschool one so I know I can teach them well LOL. Looking forward to learning more and this forum looks to be a good place to start...Thanks Gelf Lover for pointing me in this direction.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Welcome janboys and you are bring the boys up right; most of us had grandfathers who took the time to show us. Arko and other wonderful smells are still in our memories. My wife shaves her legs with a
    Blue Star Lady Gillette which you will have from your friend. She also uses a EJ Extra Large badger brush on her face with grafton every morning.:signs046

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the July Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046

Enjoy your stay here :happy088

17. sirleanalot

sirleanalot New Member

Got to appreciate your open mindedness. I tried to get a few friends to give wet & DE shaving a go. One was an instant convert - he had been struggling with the same issues as me with cartridge razors. But most of the others gave me comments like 'its only for old men', 'i don't have the time' or even 'Gillette - the best a man can get'!! If only they knew that Gillette's best is not the M3 or the Fusion ;)

18. janboys

janboys New Member

I tried to tell my best girl friend about it....she may become a convert down the road....currently I think she thinks it will take too much time with having 3 kiddos. She is glad that I am doing something that I have to take more time on myself though.

19. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 Member

I have three young boys myself. I shudder to think of the approaching teenage years. Good to have you with us.

20. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!