what type of blade does a star 1912 take?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by zwaldo, Jul 12, 2010.

1. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

ok, just got a start 1912 off ebay in good shape for 8 bucks! weeee!!!! anyway, i thought it took a double edge razor, that dosen't fit. so i broke it in 1/2 , that dosen't work. I have a single edge razor that you use in a scrapper to see if it fit and it does, but I'm having a problem here also. it dosen't have a post for the hole in the middle to hold the blade. if you touch the blade it moves.

SO what type of blade dose this thing take??? I looked on ebay and there are 2 types of single edge blades. the ones that you put in replaceable straight that look like a double edge broken into 2 pieces, and the ones that look like the type you get a home depot that you use to scrap things off windows and such.

here are some pics!
    Star 1912
    inside:
    [​IMG]

with scrapper blade, notice no notch in the head to hold the blade in place dosen't look like it's broken, just nothing there:
    [​IMG]
    back of razor:
    [​IMG]

with scrapper blade in the razor. fits the best, but not right..:
    [​IMG]

I'm a noob, any help will...well help

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The "scraper blade" as you put it is the right form, but do not use hardware store blades!

You can buy some S/E blades made for shaving at Walgreens or CVS, or he very popular Ted Pella S/E blades through our TSD store.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

I saw that they had "scrapper " blades on ebay, but since this once didn't seem to fit right I wasn't sure. So how does the razor hold the blade tight since it has nothing to go into the center hold to hold it still? I might go to walgreens and see if i can get a blade to try it out before ordering some from the website. That brand blade that you recommended to me what you would suggest for a starter blade? :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The blade is held down by the spring tension from the top cap, and is held in place at the comb by the tabs on the edges, and the spring in back keeps it from sliding backwards.

Always be sure to get the front of the blade under the tabs in front, or else you will get a nasty bite from the blade.

The Walgreens Gem blades are fine starter blades, but many claim the Pella's are sharper.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It looks like the blade is in right. It shouldn't be loose. If it is, you may have a bum razor. I hope not.

As for blades, Bill gives good advice. I've used and like the blades from the TSD store and Gem blades I get at the local ShopRite.

I DO NOT recommend TREET blades.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very good point Steve! If the top cap doesn't hold the blade down firmly, and there is any slop or rattles in the cap, then the razor may have a weak spring.

7. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

MUST BE A BUM RAZOr...I really have no idea how it would hold the razor blade tight unless the blades are a bit bigger than the scrapper blades I have. I don't see any way that the hinge/top would be able to hold the blade in it's spot just by clamping down on it even if the spring was SUPER springy. it's just smooth metal holding it down, nothing to stabilize it by design.. i have to hold it like a vise grip with my hand to get the razor to stay still enough to where i'd feel comfortable trying it out.:mad:

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

after checking it out some more, I see what you mean by the spring, the spring steel that is in the square. the back of the razor butts up to that when closed. if i push the razor with my finger nail it moves pretty easy..... Wonder if they will take it back...

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

OK I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM! Like I said i didn't have single edge blades, except the "scrapper" blades from homedepot. So before sending this razor back as defective I decided to go to walgreens and get some, well here is what I found out.

The GEM for the razors are about 1 MM longer than the scrapper blades.

When in the razor it fits more snug, The blade does move back a bit but stays in the front clamps and stays steady. I'll report back after my first attempt to shave with it.

here is a picture for other noobies to see....:happy102
    [​IMG]

10. swarden43

Good catch! As long as your blade is steady and doesn't wobble, you should be in fine shape. Looking forward to your report.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Good, glad you found out the problem!

Just one thing.... Shaving with a S/E requires quite a bit different angle than using a D/E, so have a look at the Razor Instruction Sticky to give you a idea of the proper angle to start at, then tweak it from there.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Are those the blades that say STAINLESS on the spine? If so, they're much better than the couple other drug-store brands I've tried.

13. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

Gem on front stainless on back, only ones that walgreens carried for 6 bucks!!! more than what hte razor cost me :( I'll get a big box off internet if i like the razor...

14. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Nice razor and decent blades, sir. Thanks for posting the pictures and asking the questions. It's helpful to all of those folks that will come along later to read this (and ask the same question) to know that single edge razor blades are 1mm longer than paint scraper blades.

Some guys like SE razors better than any other type (I miss da Bunny and Ms. B.). The pat'd 1912 you've got there is one of the better shavers out there - preferred by those of us that enjoy SE shaving.

In the words of some old friends:

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

In my own words, Happy Shaves!

15. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

Thanks for the positive feed back tom :) I'm excited to try this thing out! gonna give myself a day or 2 to really grow something out to give it a good run :)

I got the razor because of a post I saw on here of an add for that razor. I was shocked at how crazy it looked, never saw anything like it, so searched it on ebay and found this one for 5 bucks...8 with shipping so I had to have it :happy102

16. swarden43

Those are the SE blades I like. I get mine at ShopRite. Also sold here at the TSD Store, aka Ted Pella. Can't remember exactly how much at ShopRite, but I do know it's less than $6.

As for using the razor, it's been said, but bears repeating - watch the angle and no pressure. Get those things right and you're gonna love it!

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well?? Where'sZwaldo? :D

I have been eagerly awaiting your report! Once you give it a whirl you may well never turn back!! The single edge shave is truly wonderful once you get the hang of it. As Dridecker mentions, there is a different approach. However, it is well worth the effort!!!

I still collect double edges cause I am just crazy stuck on razors!! But, I am pretty much a Singles Club only guy these days!

As that wascawwy wabbit used to say - VIVA LA SINGLE EDGE!!!! And, I might add,

JOIN THE ONLY TRUE SINGLES CLUB!!

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

hahaha. thats a good one :)

19. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

Well guys I've had 2 shaves with the 1912 star and must say that I really do like it. The first shave wasn't very close due to my wanting to take my time and get over the learning curve.

Second run was much better. I got a Near baby butt smooth shave by doing a WTG, XTG, ATG passes on my face. my neck is more sensitive so I just went with a WTG, WTG, XTG pass there.

Just a few weepers, which are normal for my neck area but all in all I have to say that I'm impressed with my new "little torture device." I call it that Because the only reason I bought the thing is due to a post on here where someone posted an ad for a 1912 star and it looked like a joke, i seriously thought it was a joke razor till i looked it up on ebay :p

I'm going to keep this razor as my primary shaver, and then do a pass with a mach 3 to pick off any lose stubble till I get my technique down. Still a bit confused on how to angle the thing....lay it flat, or use it more like a double edge. Both seem find to me :p

here is a few pics of my shave! :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

I'm digging up this ancient post to say I appreciate zwaldo starting the thread. I just used a 1912 Star for the first time and I'm wanting to know where the hell this razor's been all my life. Wow!

twhite and clint64 like this.