Allergic to coconut and all other nuts, parabens, too!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by alansam, Jul 18, 2010.

1. alansam

alansam New Member

Hi all, first post here. I'm allergic to coconut, tree nuts and parabens. I used to use Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream In A Jar and loved them all until I discovered my allergies. Any suggestions for a replacement shave cream or soap for wet shaving with a brush? :confused:

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I wish I knew more about allergies but I don't. Have you tried the ingredients list on VDH (sold at Wally World for $1.50ish)? It is glycerin based. Don't know about the other ingredients though. We do have soap makers here though, I'm sure they can provide guidance.

3. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

I like Tabula Rasa, a German made soap available at Lee's Shaving. According to Lee's website this is what they say about it: Its all-natural ingredients include mango and Shea butter, as well as a proprietary Swiss-made cosmetic agent called Stimu-Tex for treating dry and sensitive skin.

Tabula Rasa is not cheap but I love it. I've had problems too with allergies to different ingredients in shaving soap so I know the difficulty you are going through.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You might check out the limited Product Ingredients Database thread.

First pass it looks like DR Harris, Trumper's and Floris soaps might work. You'll really need to watch for coconut products which are VERY common. Almond oil is also in many soaps and creams. Parabens are being used much less, but still are found in some creams. Also, those aren't the cheapest products, though Harris isn't as pricey as the other two.

5. herzi

herzi Active Member

6. erictski

erictski Member

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

9. alansam

alansam New Member

Thank you all for you input and recommendations. I ordered some INGRAM sc which should arrive in a few days and I'll let you know how it is.
    BTW, when I was a kid I used Wilkenson Sword Blades (I think they had just been imported into the US. They were great, so much better than the Gillette de blades of the day. I'm now using Merkur blades (in a Merkur Futur Razor) and often nick myself. Anyone have recent experience with Wilkensons?

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

A late reply, but for what it's worth...

I have tried both the Wilkinson Sword Classic white label (made in Germany) and Wilkinson Sword Classic black label (made in England). Both blades gave rough, irritating shaves in a Merkur 34C razor. The Wilkinson Sword blades by Gillette India were excellent blades in the same razor, giving smooth shaves with no irritation. I have some of the Wilkinson Sword NOS (white label with gold '5' on it, different from the Classic white label blades), but have not tried them yet. I have heard that they are excellent blades.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Did you reply on the wrong thread?

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Nope Erik, the post right above his asked about the blades,