two new razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by hrvacanin, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hrvacanin

hrvacanin New Member

I just bought two "new" razors.
    one is a dorko, german, dunno which year its from. according to the seller, it has never been used. (havent received this one yet, so I cant say if thats true). Looks pretty nice though..

the other is a gillette razor. dont know what its called. its one of those adjustable ones. It looks nice now (I cleaned it, the photo is from before the cleaning)

under the head it says:
    made in the usa
    gillette (with the arrow logo)
    J 4
    REG US
    PAT OFF
    any idea which year its from? I have heard that you can date them, but not sure how :)
    it shaves really well. Im impressed. got it cheap.

Attached Files:

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very nice set. I know Dorko made a spectacular straight razor. YOu got some nice finds there.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

J-4 on the Gillette would indicate the 4th quarter of 1964.
    They look like beauties! Enjoy!

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I love the look of that Dorko. Let us know how it shaves.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Also known as the Slim Adjustable.

Raf

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I agree that dorko is hot. Congratulations.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

I would like to second that.

I would love to know how she rides.

8. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

The head of the Dorko looks a lot like a Merkur.

St. Croix

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The head, not so much

Some similarities (the straight bar is similar, and tip looks like from a Progress)

But,

More exposure, and aside from that, the head "fit" resembles that of an old Gillette Tech.

---> Looks like a great shaver. Enjoy ::

10. hrvacanin

hrvacanin New Member

I have shaved with both razors a couple of times now. The gillette is excellent. Its the first adjustable DE I have ever used, Im impressed. I have found out that setting it on 5 or 6 (it goes from 1-9) gives me a perfect smooth shave.

The Dorko doesnt shave quite as good/close (might need more practice with it), but it shaves very well. It also have a totally different feel to it than the Gillette. Its the first comb-type I have used (not really a comb, more of bumps :)) the "comb-bumps" really give it a nice feel to the skin.
    The coolest thing with the Dorko was that it really must be unused (the seller claimed that but I was sceptical). It looks brand new, even the box was in a very nice condition. I have no idea how old it is, can be anything from 1 year to 50...
    I let my girlfriend shave her legs with the dorko, my badger brush and a almond-scented shave cream. She was very happy with that shave. The almond scent remind her of the italian liquor "disaronno amaretto" which she loves :)
    Gonna use both razors often. very happy with these finds. I got both at online auctions. payed 5$ for the Dorko and 15$ for the gillette (had a small bidding-war with someone..).

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Cool! Sounds like you got some nice deals!

Enjoy :eatdrink004

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Gee I am glad to add something to my fund of shaving knowledge. I did not know that Dovo ever made double edge razors. I thought they only made streight razors.

13. xChris

xChris Member

The non-Gillette model appearing above is a DORKO -- no association with Dovo (AFAIK).

While I don't think Dovo made DE razors under their own name, they do own Merkur.

14. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid New Member

Which just rule, in my limited (3 shaves with one) experience. Not sure how it compares to a Fat Boy, but I like my Slim Adjustable quite a bit.

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Gee grreat to add to my fund of knowedge. As my sign line says, this is my aim here "Seeking All Shave Knowledge."

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Read you loud and clear. :D