Olive Oil soap??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by UnklGus, Aug 7, 2010.

1. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

Has anyone used an olive oil based soap to shave with? I just bought a couple different soaps with the intention to use them on my face before bed. They seem to lather pretty well, so I thought maybe i would try using them to shave with. Just wondering what the TSD thoughts are on this. Thank for the help!

Gus

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The only olive oil shaving product I've seen is MEM shave cream which gets very favorable reviews on several forums in their review section. I've never had the pleasure of trying it, you can get a tube very reasonably at shaveabuck. It's supposed to be highly concentrated and takes about the the size of a pea to make your lather.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have used the Savon De Marseilles olive oil soap for shaving. It makes a really good shave soap IMHO. This Savon De Marseilles soap is the one made by La Compagnie De Provence, and is green in color. It lathers easily, is cushioning and slick. Best of all, it leaves my skin feeling great after the shave.

4. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

I was just testing the soap that I bought. It came in a bar form so I cut the bar into 2 equal sections. I just applied the soap as it if were a stick. The later was pretty good. I think that I will give it a go and see what happens!

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

That is unsusual, because most olive oil-based shaving soaps are poor lather makers, although the skincare is good.

6. Flylooper

Flylooper New Member

I make my own soap. Olive oil lathers but the bubbles are very small. You have to add some other fat (like palm oil) to the recipe to make it lather like most of is want it to.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thanks for the info--I may have been wetshaving all of my life, but I don't know so much.

8. jadormdrache

jadormdrache New Member

9. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I find castille soaps slimey with not much lather, unless some castor oil has been added.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Ahh.. I had forgotten that castille soaps are olive oil!

11. Maineac

Maineac Member

I have some melt & pour olive oil soap that is in my rotation. After I purchased the big block I cup off some chunks and melted them in the microwave oven in a measuring cup. I then stirred in some bentonite clay for slickness and fragrance oil. I then poured the mixture into a shaving mug. After it hardenes you are soon good to go.

Olive oil soap does not make great lather but it is slick and good for shaving.

I use this method for all types of melt and pour soap.

12. soapbuddy

Depending where you purchased the Melt N' Pour, those type of bases usually have extra additives added so they have suds.

13. I use Kiss My Face 100% Olive Oil Soap as my face wash and face primer prior to applying regular shave soap lather. Everyone's correct... not much of a lather, but gives excellent glide for the razor blade (hense why I apply it before the regular lather.) I even use just the soap for my final touch-up pass. I will want to try an olive oil soap that is not 100%, to see if a little more lather can be generated, but am quite satisfied with the results of what I use above.

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'll confirm what others are saying. I've used one olive oil based soap and didn't care for the lather. Very sudsy and thin. No volume and not at all rich/creamy. Shave was acceptable but not worth owning the product in my book.

15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Not sure about that but I have an Italian friend that puts olive oil on everything and is the healthiest guy around. He said he even put it on his ice cream once.:happy102

16. soapbuddy

Olive oil is good for you, taken internally. Just make sure it's pure. Some imported olive oils are not pure and are cut with soy or canola.

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have Tade and Artalep Aleppo shaving soaps, I have yet to use one. I also have 3 Old Ghar Aleppo soaps which can be used for shaving. I must try one of these for shaving :D.