The Haul: August 9th - August 15th, 2010

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Aug 9, 2010.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

The heat is still on...stay cool. Whaddya got this week? Post 'em up, y'all!

2. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Monday Haul

From my Father...
    A Gillette Anniversary mug along with some vintage tie clips and cufflinks.

From eBay....
    A Schick Grip and some Palmolive Shave Sticks.

HPIM0135.JPG

HPIM0137.JPG

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Nice stuff there Wyatt, I'm really diggin' that mug! :happy088

4. wyatt46

Thanks Bill
    There is some history to these mugs that I haven't clarified yet.
    Something to do with the anniversary of the advent of the Gillette Blue Blade. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I have seen them on eBay for up to $75, my Dad picked this one up for me for $3.
    I stopped by for a visit today, he must have 20 or so DE and straight razors in his collection already, Mugs and scuttles as well.
    I have unleashed a monster.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy096 To you sir! Glad that you have other family members that have been bitten by the "bug". :signs107

Sorry I can't help on the mug, that is the first I recall seeing like that, maybe one of our other fine members can help shed some light on its history.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Some new old stock Colgate Shaving Sticks around 1900 and something. Got them on ebay for $20, they came with directions on how to use.

Attached Files:

7. wyatt46

Nice haul !!
    The tins alone are worth far more than the $20.
    Are the soaps still good?

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Thanks. My day was made when I won them, because I did not think I would. I keep a keen eye on them for a week and just knew some deep pocket would bid them to the Gilded Age. The soaps are usable I think, though they have deteriorated a bit, some of the oils? of the soap has got onto the directions for use they were wrapped in.

One thing not shown is that Colgate lined the tins with thin white card board. I did not realize that as none of the tins I have seen have them.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice haul! As Wyatt said, the tins alone are worth more than that, and being NOS makes them even rarer. :signs107

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

KimSon black water buffalo horn brush with a 24mm silvertip set at 50 mm of loft. This is softest and most luxurious brush I own. I normally prefer a smaller knot with more backbone, but this guy whipped up some nice test lathers with both soap and creams. The dead dog smell is dissipating.

[​IMG]

I have to give props to Vu Kimson. He was making me a small bone handle and it broke while polishing. Due to it taking 4 months to ship the order, I asked him if I could just have a horn handle instead. He upgraded me to a free silvertip knot.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Great brush, I am tempted to get one, but want to resist . That horn handle is nice though. There is a archived thread at SMF where Mr. Vu is asking for advice on making brush knots , a charming read in light of him now producing great completed brushes.

12. Kojak

Kojak New Member

100 Derby blades $8.95 free shipping. I Gold Tone Gillette Tech 1930's something $6 on ebay. :)

[​IMG]

13. wyatt46

In the post today curtesy of eBay and USPS.
    The Old Spice , I beleive is 1948-50,
    Early American Old Spice-Shulton Inc. Clifton NJ #20.
    The floral mug has no markings

HPIM0162.JPG

14. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Vegas Haul

AOS store at our hotel and SWMBO found the antique malls-dangerous combo.
    The soap is Sandalwood and smells awfully nice.
    Black Str8-C. Friedr.Ern
    Yellow Str8-Electric Cutlery
    anybody know anything about those? The black one may not be worth fixing, but they were both pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have been a good boy :D

Attached Files:

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Aww man, Danny I was thinking how that black one looked awesome.... I hope you can get it working for you. What's wrong with it?

And the Progress is pretty badass huh? It is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite razor I've ever used.

Who needs to shave when the wind will blow the whiskers off yer face! Sweet bike dude.

17. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Yes the Progress is outstanding-may be the closest non-slant DE shave for me. The black str8 has a nick in the blade-I'm going to send close up pics to Glenn and see what he says.

18. wyatt46

Nice haulz!

Had to coax my Dad into sending me some pics of his hauls as I cant get him to join TSD.
    He has been collecting since just after Fathers day when I set him up with a Merkur and a badger brush.

Giv'er Dad !

Dad's stuff2.jpg

Dad's stuff3.jpg

Dad's stuff4.jpg

Dad's stuff5.jpg

Dad's stuff6.jpg

Dad's stuff7.jpg

Dad's stuff1.jpg

View attachment 17080

Dad's Haul2.jpg

Dad's Haul3.jpg

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Great hauls by your dad. The pearl handle straight with the silver inlays maybe very scarce. I was reading about one like that on SRP, the pins were said to be pure silver and to have been placed by hand. I've never seen a Williams ad mug either. Nice collection of barberiana.

20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey Waytt! It looks like you and your Dad are in a scuttle and mug collecting contest!