Wet Stone Question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by minderasr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Probably a silly question but here goes. I was just curious what everyone does with their wet stone after honing but prior to storage. Do you let it dry, like on a dish rack maybe?

TIA

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I sorta pat mine dry with a paper towel and set it back in the caddy it came with to air dry. But the Norton waterstones do have a nice blue caddy to put them in.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I let mine air dry after I clean then from use. If I am just stoping for the night and start back up in the morning I wash them clean and put them in the sink with enough water to cover them. I have one Norton 4k/8k that I treat this way but some think that eventually it will separate if left under water too long. I dont worry about that if it ever does happen I just glue them back again no big deal.

Raf

4. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I keep all my water stones in a container filled with water because I use them every day, darn near. I change the water about every month and put a couple drops of bleach in the water to keep bugs from growing.

None of my stones have separated after at least a year being in the water bucket. You can see a couple of them standing upright in the container with a blue-ringed top below my work bench.

[vbpg]158[/vbpg]

5. bg42

bg42 New Member

Bill how do you keep such a clean bloody work shop ,I do all my grinding in another room and still cant keep the dust out ,have you got two and just keep that one for pics,you got to be the neatest bloke I know :confused:
    Kind regards Peter

6. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

:roflThat's a great thought - two workshops. Of course, a neat workspace is a sign of a well-organised mind, so they say - mine's really tidy too, just don't look in the drawers....

I keep my Norton submerged in water most of the time too. But if I know I won't be using it for an extended period I just sit it on a tea towel to dry for a day or two and then pop it in it's box.

James.

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

I only use my Nortons for e-bay specials and chips. The coticule is my workhorse and I just let it air dry with the slurry still on it for the next use.

PS - Love your shop Bill :D

8. rexj

rexj New Member

I pat the water off with a paper towel and then let all my stones air dry, that includes the natural japanese waterstones that I use on knives.

9. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

good info for a str8 noob ;)