P.160 Tipo Morbido... Trouble in what I hoped would be paradise...

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by MikekiM, Aug 25, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I am really hoping to be able to master this stuff, because I just adore the scent.. Smells like it should be in a tumbler with ice.. I want to sip it!

I loaded the brush directly from the sweet blue container using Mantic's upside-down technique.. Looked like the brush well well loaded. Lathered in a bowl and it was climbing the sides of the bowl.. nice and rich, held it's own peaks..but when I lathered my face things fell apart.

My skin was well hydrated, though not dripping. The first lather seemed weak and the first WTG pass was aweful (see below). Seems like there is zero lube in P.160.

I added a few drops of glycerin to the bowl and lather just collapsed.

I managed to get through the shave and ironically, it was a DFS, just not one bit of enjoyment..

Any P.160 users that can offer some "local knowledge" on how to get this wonderfully scented cream to perform?

SIDE NOTE:

Today is day two for a Rainbow blade in the Futur. Day one was not so good and I figured since it was the first time back to the Futur :)D) in a few weeks, first time using Cella and first for the Rainbow..there were too many variables to blame the blade.

Last night I popped the cap off the Futur to check something and didn't put it back on fully so the first stroke this morning was with the cap half-cocked . Fixed that. But with the P.160 there was a tremendous amount of drag.. not the blade, but the safety bar on the Futur skidded across my skin. There is a complete absence of lube in the P.160. Even when I did a half-rinse between lathers my skin felt like I just cleaned it with dish washing detergent...squeaky clean, with a lack of slick. :sick007

So, to be fair, I have to give the Rainbow another chance...

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

It really sounds like to much water, not enough product....

I would load it like Proraso in the tub's, squeeze your brush out good before your swirl in the pot, load the brush till you feel the resistance and then move to the bowl.

You should be producing a very slick lather, with plenty of glide....

3. MikekiM

Tomorrow's another day...or maybe tonight, this mornings shave was a real half-arsed bail-out debacle.

Does it need water on it to soften it, like a soap?

4. Sodapopjones

I don't use the soak method on the Italian soft soaps, all it ever does is dry out the soap, causes it to harden and crack unfortunately.

The Italian soaps react more like creams, but have the properties and ingredients of soaps if that makes sense :happy102

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think Aaron is right on not enough product. It's really easy to think you've load more soap than you have with the soft soaps. It just takes a little practice but I'm sure you'll get it quickly.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I also think that the brush was not sufficiently loaded. For me, it takes a bit of time and effort with a dry-ish brush to get my brush loaded with Cella prior to hitting the scuttle.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I would say you probably got a bad batch of the Tipo Morbido, send it to me and I'll check it out for you, free of charge. :D

Or load more product as stated above. :)

8. MikekiM

Last night I did two practice runs with each of the P.160 and Cella, prior to reading here.. I added about three times more product (which you are correct, takes a bit of work), and nearly no water and whipped for quite a bit longer and viola! I didn't shave, but I can tell the lather was far better...

Thanks...

:happy102

It was just a matter of time before it was said... gracious offer, thanks!! ;)

9. Sodapopjones

Nice, I'm glad to see you figured it out!

You probably won't like triple milled soaps much then, they take even more "whipping" with maybe Trumpers being the exception...

10. MikekiM

Well, I didn't find it too horrible...just can't see face lathering it.. it would wear away my beard leaving no reason to shave...

Not the best for an early morning shave before work (which is what I should be doing now) since it takes a bit longer.

Isn't like the crack of dawn in AZ?

11. Sodapopjones

Yeah, but I work nights and I'm only on beer 1 :D

FYI I face lather my P.160 :eek:

12. MikekiM

Must be the beer..

Truth told, yesterday I used the Shea Moisture Pure..today I used the iKon TGN Silvertip.. much better, but still not at the an acceptable point of efficiency that I would work it up with face lather. I'll get there... I hate leaving all that lather in the bowl.

13. Sodapopjones

Actually, I have never shaved while drinking, I have on cold medicine and wound up cutting half my chin off though... :happy102

You will get there, no worries it a good thing you didn't try Valobra then, you would probably have no face left if you tried to face lather that....

14. MikekiM

Good thing you clarified.. I as going for a splash of Amaretto in my coffee...

hmm..might do that anyway..

15. If you have any boar brushes try using that to lather the P. 160 and Cella. It face lathers better IMO. Quicker, although thats my personal experience and YMMV.

16. MikekiM

Cool, that's the same suggestion Aaron made..

I don't have any boar brushes and my initial reaction to Aaron's suggestion was not sure I want to add another variable.

What is it about the boar brushes characteristics that would make it a better candidate for this scenario?

And, is the suggestion to try boar focused at face lathering or based on the type of cream? just curious why the boar is being suggested.

17. Arizona Dream

Arizona Dream New Member

This product and 'real soon! Here in Italy that goes well with almonds, smells incredible! :D

18. Sodapopjones

My recommendation for boar was more for face lathering in general, regardless of what product is being used. ;)

Once you figure it out, or the basics so to speak, you can use just about anything and well, hell my Vulfix has about as much back bone as a Kleenex yet it face lathers creams to triple milled soaps just fine.
    [​IMG]

19. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

I face lather my triple milled soaps but prefer to bowl lather the P160. I take a lima beaned size chuck of the P160 and bowl lather adding water as needed. Works like a charm. :cool:

20. MikekiM

I didn't try that.. I figured the chunk would just slide all over the bottom of the bowl...