I'd like to switch to straights but......

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hank, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hank

Hank Active Member

I'd like to switch to straights but I have no idea where to start.....

I wouldn't know shave ready from not shave ready.
    I have heard that the old straights are better than new straights?
    Strop Hone how often how much ?
    How do I know I am getting a decent old straight for the price and not a hunk of junk?
    Then there is the matter of technique how without cutting my face off?
    American made? German made? Japanese?

yeah I am over whelmed at the moment with choices and decisions!!!!!

Brothers of the steel HELP !!!!!!!!!

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Hank,

1. Look for razors from reputable people (check the Classifieds here). Some other places are Straight Razor Designs, Classic Shaving.

2. Find a person to hone the razor for you (again, we have guys that can help or if you order from SRD or CS you can purchase an option for them to hone it before they send it to you)

3. Strop every day before the shave. Hone when needed (which is usually when the razor starts to pull instead of cut hair) Learn to strop well before you learn to hone. You can always send the razor to someone to hone it but only you can strop a razor before you shave.

4. For technique, just start with one side of your face, place the razor at an approximate 30 degree angle (2 spine widths) and pull straight down. Get use to that first then you can go further. There are some good technique videos on this site and Lynn Abrams has produced a great video all about straight razors. consider ordering that.

Hope this helps somewhat. This isn't comprehensive at all but at least it should point you in a good direction.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good stuff there, boys!

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    First you need a budget !!!!

You have to have these items to get in the game...

A shave ready razor
    A solid strop (read not expensive but not cheap e-bay junk)
    A brush
    Soap/cream

And no a SR really doesn't work all the great with your can of Foamy :eek:

I wouldn't even worry about hones for at least six months, if at all, honing is another art all to itself...
    You need to decide if you even like it, before you dump a ton of hard earned coin...

I agree with looking at SRD as they have complete starter kits ready to roll..and the razor will be shave ready..
    Classic used to be a good choice, but since they no longer have Lynn honing and won't say who is, I no longer recommend them for a "Shave Ready" razor... (maybe they will read this)

Be very very careful Straights are more addictive than crack :happy102 :happy102

5. I would also add that you check out the website
    www.whippeddog.com

Larry there sells older straights that he restores. They're nothing fancy to look at, but it'll only set you back the price of a shavette that uses half DE blades. One of my best shavers is from him. He also has an excellent starters guide typed up that he can e-mail you.
    A good strop source is RupRazor. Ken there sells a practice strop for 20 bucks shipped that will work well and won't cause too much heartache when you nick it.

Don't worry about slicing your face up. A little caustion and you'll be fine shaving ambidextrously.
    If your looking at a cheap entry, for about 50 bucks you have about as cheap a starter kit there as you'll get. All from reputable dealers.

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Glen, thanks for this update. I didn't realize Lynn stopped honing for them. Good to know.

7. Hank

Hank Active Member

I already have a few brushes and soaps, I was using a brush and soap when I was using the multi bladed torcher device

8. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Stay away from vendors. If you want to spend a minimum of $80-$100 by all means go for it.

Personally having good experiences with both Brad ( undream ) and Quinton ( cedarfurnitureman ) I'd have peace of mind buying from them again, the classifieds or even antique shops.

9. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

A big +1 to Larry Andro and www.whippeddog.com. I've never had the pleasure of buying from him but his philosophy and the knowledge he's demonstrated in the forums indicates that his service has to be top notch.

10. ShavedZombie

ShavedZombie Member

In the order you asked:

Order from a reputable honer (StraightRazorDesigns and VintageBlades come to mind)
    I prefer vintage because (1.) they have history and (2.) good luck finding a production run wedge blade. That said, I've had fantastic shaves with a new Dovo
    Strop before (and after if you want) every shave. Hone when it starts to tug, but you're better off having a pro do that the first few times.
    You can't really tell from a restoration perspective, without the restorer seeing it. However, if it's restoreable, almost all old razors are good ones. Don't get anything from China or Pakistan, unless you're sure of quality (I've seen a few sweet Chinese Wade and Butchers)
    Technique: Read help threads, and watch videos. Go slow and stretch the skin well. Keep the angle at 30* between blade and face (or less)
    I personally love Sheffield razors, but they're all good.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

11. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

Whipped dog provides one of the best values out there. No frills, but a good value. I would also say try this new guy Jarrod. His shop is thesuperiorshave.com. I found this guy by accident literally, but his prices are much more reasonable than Classic and SRD. He also has a good line of vintage and new straights and unlike the other vendors he needs the business. The matchless value of some vendors is actually figured into the cost. $66 shipped versus $79+shipping for the same razor arriving to you in the same condition. Even if you include the retouch the value isn't there, they just charge more up front.
    All the vendors named here are very good. You will get great service and products from each one. You will jsut pay one more for the same thing. Don't let the touch up honign fool you either, thats a 15 minute or less process and you can have it done yourself for $10.
    Also, Glen, I would argue to that the honer at Classic is as good as any out there including SRD for NEW shave-ready straights. Having personally purchased razors from both (Ivory Micarta Dovo(SRD), and Dovo Best Quality(Classic)), I would certainly not say the SRD razor was honed any better. Classic's honers were supposedly trained by Tim Zowada. Although I find their prices unreasonable, they are extremely helpful and offer a large line of products.

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Sorry but I beg to differ,, Trey

If you won't put yer name on it then you don't stand well in my book...

Plus you have no idea if the razors you got from Classic in the last 6 months were honed by the "New Guys" or Lynn...

13. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

You are right, I don't know. I know they shaved well. But, you are right, it doesn't matter how it shaves. It matters who honed it.
    I am not sure what to put my name on, but if you will tell me I will gladly write my name in.
    Thanks

14. John

John Member

Hey Trey,
    i think the point here is that it would be nice to know who is actually doing the honing at Classic. I'm sure that the do a very nice job or Classic would not have them doing what they do.
    It would just be nice to have a name so we can give that hard working person all the credit that they are due. Honeing (as you are well aware) can be a tricky skill set to master. If, in the furture, I had the chance to order from Classic and recieved a great blade with a wonderful edge on it, I would like to personally thank whomever took the time to give me a wonderful and enjoying shave.

cheers!

15. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I bought a Dovo Special from Classic because I had a small gift card to use.

I asked them if the blade came shave ready. They told me if it says 'presharpened" than it would be 'honed' It was a very vague answer for a simple question.

The blade was def not shave ready and had the factory edge on it.

16. kfralin

kfralin New Member

If it shaved well and you don't know the exact person who honed it...can you be sure it shaved well?:confused:

17. TSasser

TSasser New Member