Acne after shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Matt F, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I tried wet shaving about 2 months ago (I used electric razors before) with a cartridge razor plus the same shaving cream and brush that I'm using now. Eventually I gave it up because I was getting some spots on my cheeks (skin was reacting worse than when I was using the electric).

I started up again around 3 weeks ago but this time I used a Merkur HD + Derby blades and tried shaving every 5 days or so. My skin reacted similarly to before...it would look good for a couple of days and then I'd start getting the odd spot here and there. I wondered whether it was because I wasn't shaving often enough so I tried shaving every other day, but my skin is still reacting the same. :mad:

Info:

I am 19 so I haven't been shaving for long (only started electric shaving at 17'ish :ashamed001)

I don't have any problems with my skin if I don't shave. I would love to grow a beard but my facial hair is thin and patchy. :rolleyes:

I use Taylor of Old Bond street (sensitive) shaving cream, a Tweezerman's Badger brush and do 1 WTG pass.

Post shave I use witch hazel and a light moisturiser.

The spots are pretty small, quite far apart (but 9/10 times they're on the cheek area), and I don't usually get more than 5 of them. They appear about 4 days after shaving. As far as I'm aware, it's acne and not razor bumps etc.

Could my shaving cream be the problem? Or the brush?

Help please. I managed to get rid of the whole 'teenage acne' thing and now shaving is being lame. :angry021

2. Reddragon317

Reddragon317 New Member

I feel your pain. I'm nearly 50 and still have break outs. What seemed to work for me was to get a Noncomedogenic soap and wash my face after my shave with slightly warm water then rinse with cold and then pat dry and then use what ever AS suits me for the day. I night (after I wash my face with the same soap) I apply some Trumpers Skin Milk which give me some moisture but not too much. I also wash my face after work and/or workouts. I also stay away from shave creams and pretty much stick to shave soaps (currently using proraso but Trumpers Sandalwood is good) as I find soaps don't over moisturize w/o leaving skin too dry. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Michael

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If you are convinced that it is acne and not ingrown hairs, I wonder if your pores are getting clogged with the shave cream? Have you tried a shave soap?

4. pdlbooboo

pdlbooboo Member

I used canned shaving cream for a while and broke out every time I used it which is why I, probably like you, started shaving with an electric shaver. I never got a very close shave with it and got scruffy way too fast. I recently picked up some Williams shaving soap and a cheap brush and grabbed the old cartridge razor that caused me so many problems before (Mach III) and combined it with the brush and soap. I was blown away by the shave and the lack of spotting. It may even be a mild allergic reaction to one of the things you are using, too.

I hope this helps Matt

5. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I've never tried shave soap, only ever used creams (I heard soap was worse for people with dry'ish skin like myself).

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I'll echo Jeff's comments and say try a soap, it could be a reaction to creams.

I'd recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat, if you are concerned about dry skin.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Id say try a good shave soap and skip the moisturizer after shaving. Instead use a good alcohol based after shave, pref one with goodies in it (glycering, aloe and such). If you still feel the need to use the moisturizer use it after the alco-splash, and make sure the skin is dry before applying..

And try to really close the pores after shaving using cold water..

8. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I usually rinse well with cold water and then use witch hazel, so my pores should be closed by then, right? :-S I have the TSD aftershave milk which I could try using again after the shaves.

Isn't Lanolin bad for acne-prone skin though?

ps. After looking at my skin this morning, the spots that I do have look a lot like clogged pores. They're all very small, aren't particularly red and are in the main areas where I get clogged pores (middle-upper cheeks and nowhere else). A few are just white heads and can't be popped easily. I steamed my face this morning which hopefully helped to release the crap from the pores.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Yes to Woolfat!

No lanolin isn't bad for acne prone skin unless you're using it in a nearly pure form.

I've had problems with acne before I started wet shaving. MWF is know to be great for your skin. While you'll find a few complaints about MWF, none of them I've found are about how it treats the skin.

10. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Ok, so yes to MWF.

How does Derby compare to other blades in terms of gentleness? Are there any others I should try?

As I'm trying to cut out any irritation during the shave, should I be more careful with the brush? What I mean is, should I try just painting the lather on rather than going in circles which could irritate my skin? I am trying to go through each process of the shave and see what could be improved.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Blades are a highly personalized preference.

I am not a fan of the Derby's, although many people use them as their main blade. You might try Dorco St-301 though. Make sure you get the 301, NOT 300!

12. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Ok I ordered the Wool Fat soap, should get here in a few days time. :cool:

The blades that I have from my sample pack are:

Wilkinson Swordx2
    Feather
    Astra superior platinum
    Derby
    Gillete 7o'clock
    personna platinum

Any ideas as to which I should try next? I was thinking Wilkinson sword..:confused:

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I vote for the astra superior platinums, nice mild blade and good for sensitive skin. Good job on getting the fat I've never used it myself but a whole bunch use it as their main soap. I'm allergic to shave creams myself which you might be as well, I think it's the parabens used in creams. I don't think it's acne you say you have dry skin, then you need a balm after. Doesn't acne usually involve oily skin?

14. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Well my skin isn't really dry, it is more 'combination'. Basically it is sensitive to stuff that goes on it, so it can get dry really easily (from mild face washes etc.) but it can also be oily sometimes too.

What is the main difference between razor bumps and acne in terms of appearance?

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

They look the same to me. Razor bumps usually don't develop the white head filled with pus unless it is getting infected. I use a face soap that is a 2% salacylic acid for acne but helps with my razor bumps and was recommended on a site that was for dealing with ingrowns. Equate brand acne cleanser which is walmarts replica of neutragena, it's non drying and sensitive skin safe. I would stay away from alcohol based products if I was you, use thayers witch hazel that is alcohol free, then a light balm like nivea sensitive or tsd as milk. You might also want to not scrub your face with anything other than your palm and finger tips, no buff puffs the razor will do that for you.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Bacteria

I have read that if after shaving you get acne it may be due to bacteria on your blade. you may wanna try to disinfect the blade before and after using it. it could be the cause of your problems

17. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I change blade everytime I shave, so bacteria shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, so it sounds like I'm definitely not getting razor bumps. I sometimes use Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion which contains salicylic acid, but apart from that I prefer to keep my face as chemical-free as possible.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Another good bacteria-killing wet shaving product is alum. It's been the real cure for my acne. Though admittedly, I'm very oily skinned and alum has been accused of drying the skin (which is good for me). You can order alum at many of the online stores, including TSD store. You can also pick it up at many organic/hippy food stores sold as crystal deodorant. If you go the later route, be absolutely certain you get potassium alum (the other bad type is ammonium alum which is painful on a freshly shaved face).