Name 3 razors that are must have's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Name 3 safety razors that you think every new shaver deserves to try and why. I'm not looking for your favorites, I'm looking for solid performance and readily available. When asked "I'm new what's a good razor?" Here's my three must haves for the new shaver.

1) Gillette tech, it gives an Affordable gentle shave. IMHO Any tech or tech clone is the perfect starter razor, it's gentle enough that you can practice with it frequently. It's hard to cut yourself with a tech. When I'm running late and need a fast quick shave a tech is what I trust.

2) Gillette adjustable slim or fat boy, You've got to have an adjustable in the Den , This is the best bang for the buck in adjustable's.

3) EJ / Muhle 89 Possibly one of the best new razors out there. It seems a little less aggressive than the HD and it's very well made . If you haven't tried one your missing out.

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well you didn't specify SE or DE, so with that being said....

Its hard to put these in say a 1-3 order, so in no order

Gillette Super Speed preferably 40's, smooth, consistent and built to outlast me...

EJDE89L, Well built, stunning and arguably the best mass produced 3 piece razor on the market.

Schick Injector, each model has its pluses and minuses however they all offer exceptional shaves, everyone needs at least one injector. The blade loading mechanism is fun in itself and honestly shaving with one is like cheating on your DE, they shave that good.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

flair tip super speed, everything is right with my '66. It has become my favorite.

schick krona, any self respecting wet shaver needs one.

fat handled tech, I don't use it anymore but I would say it's the most readily available vintage razor out there and dirt cheap. A perfect tool to dip your toes into the DE world.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

NO! NO! NO!

Not another, "What's your favorite _____?", thread! :angry021

Tell them to look here.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Yeah your right about that. I just finished off a sixer and my guard was down.

6. harpman

harpman New Member

I might just start a What's your favorite "What's your favorite___" thread.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

In the spirit of being nice to those who haven't been around for all the times similar threads have been done before, I'll participate:
    1) Flare-tip Super Speed. A classic mild to moderate razor that will remind you you don't need to be fancy to be a great shaver.
    2) Gillette Tech. An everyday razor for some. A mild change for after bad shaves for others.
    3) A razor that has a personal connection. It could be a birth year, something that belonged to dad or grand-dad. But a razor with meaning seems to make shaves even better.

8. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Ok, Ill play..

1/Edwin Jagger Chatsworth - simply the best...
    2/Edwin Jagger DE (new edition).. simple, stylish and a great shaver

No adjustable needed IMHO..

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

At the risk of getting Steve even more riled, I'll answer the question thusly:

1.A good D/E

2.A good S/E

3.An injector.

No particular brand or models, but I do think that everyone should sample each type at least once.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Okay.

Rant over.

My apologies to any and all I may have offended.

I'll just try real hard not to click on these types of threads from now on.

Please, do carry on.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Steve no problem at all, I'm sure you offended no one, and I hope no offense was taken by you at my comment.

12. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I was about to post this exact answer. Thanks for doing it for me.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

At some point I'll have to get to an injector. Somehow I just never seem drawn to them enough to pick one up. Maybe because I've not run across one in an antique store and don't want to turn to the 'bay. Maybe I'm just that happy with my shaves.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I still pronounce Colorado with a soft "a" as in apple just like a Native should, so....from one Colorado Brother to another, if you wish, PM me your address and I will fire you off my PAL adjustable injector for your official injector de-flowering.

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

In order of importance:
    • A good injector. Schick types E, G, I, J, and the Schick adjustable are all excellent and easy to find. Although I like the G1, the J1 may be a better introduction to injectors, easy on the face but still effective.
    • A Gem 1912. There may be other SE razors you end up liking better, but try one of these.
    • Gillette New, either long or short comb, but I think I prefer the short.

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Every shaver should try:

1) something SE such as a Gem 1912, G-bar, Ever Ready 1914, etc... but skip the micromatics to start
    2) a classic DE - a tech is a good choice
    3) a slant
    4) an open comb razor - Gillette NEW is a good choice

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Coyote backwards, thanks for mentioning the slant. That razor literally changed the way I shave.

18. newb

newb Resident Newb

:sihns011 I just started using a slant recently. And It should be a must try for all shavers.

19. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

1) the one you use now and love
    2) the one you used before the current one, and you loved
    3) the one you'll get next and will, no doubt, love

20. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Dang these threads. I just sent the payment for a EJ DE89L to complete my three. Got the Gillette Tech first. Then the Slim. Now for the EJ.