What do you think of this razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by The Anachronist, Sep 20, 2010.

1. The Anachronist

The Anachronist New Member

Yesterday, I went to deceptively large antique mall. I'm going back today to finish looking, it was huge. In one case I found several straights, all looked in pretty good condition, though maybe with heavy hone marks. All $10 or less. Then there was one that was bit more, and in very good condition.

It was a Crogh Cutlery Co. Four Leaf Clover Special Quality. I can't find any information online about this company or razor, anyone out there know of it?

It has some hone wear, but little surface tarnish and rust. It was in very good condition. The scales seemed very strong, high quality. I'm not sure of the material, I'm assuming plastic of some sort, but were ivory colored, and had an beautiful design molded. I'm thinking of purchasing this today and honing it up. $37.50 doesn't seem too bad to me. What do you guys say?

Also, it had a barber's notch. What on earth is that for?

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I know nothing of the razor and without a picture I wouldn't venture a guess on the value but if you think you can work with it and seems good to you and you're happy with the price...go for it.

Barber's notch?? I don't think I've ever read a definitive purpose for it. Some say the barber put his finger in the notch to pivot the razor; some say it was used to shave around moles; some say it was for one handed opening as you could hook the notch against a pocket and open it that way; some say that life here began out there....oh wait, that's from a different program :D

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The barber's notch was for cutting in hard to reach areas like the ears.

I've never heard of that brand. It seems that most American razors sold by cutlery stores/barber supply/hardware stores in the early twentieth cent. were rebranded German made razors. It might have Solingen on it. If the blade is a brand from a later time its not quality.

There is a razor identification guide with pics in the Wiki section at Straight Razor Place might give you a lead on that brand.

I don't think antique dealers are necessarily straight razor experts so the price will be arbitrary , you might ask the reason behind the blade price and find you should ask for a discount.

To me if it has a lot of hone wear or it appears the edge will need tending you have to add $20 to the price because it must go to a honemeister.

4. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

The Clover brand is well respected to my knowledge. I have hoend several of them and they seem to take a nice edge. As to the value of that particular razor, I would have to see pictures, plus on certain forums you aren't allowed to discuss prices so I don't want to start something.
    I would say give it a shot. If the hone wear isn't bad and its a nice size then you probably will be fine. Plus even if you put $15 into getting it hones, you have a good investment.
    as to the Barber's notch. Some say it was for opening the raor one handed, others for opening bottles etc.. There is also a story that says someone at Wade and Butcher made a mistake or something and later were the first to come out with a notched razor. In practical terms these days, they have no use. There are people out there fascinated with them despite the fact they do not really effect shaving.

5. The Anachronist

It did seem to be in decent condition, despite some hone wear. That doesn't bother me much as it's not going to be a display piece. There weren't many stamps or identifying markers other than the Fremont, Ohio Company name. It didn't say Solingen, or Made in Germany, or anything of that sort, so I'm not sure on the quality.

I'd be happy to take pictures, but I doubt they'd let me. The proprietors were very invasive and just kind of weird. The woman that opened the case for me made it clear they weren't razor people, which I assumed to be the case anyway. She was really trying to sell one of them to me, based not on the razor itself, but on the quality of the boxes, almost to the point of being obnoxious. She seemed to think that was where the real value and interest was. While it's nice to have a box in good condition, I don't think that's the selling point for most that plan to use the razors. I just chuckled.

I'll take a look at SRP's wiki and see what I can find. I think I'll look into it a bit more, and see what other razors they may have to offer before jumping on the pretty one, lol.

6. xChris

xChris Member

Clover Brand is a mark for W.H. Morley & Sons from Germany. However, you mentioned it was stamped with Fremont, OH. That would lead me to think it is a Clauss razor (or another cutlery manifacturer from that area) that was re-branded for Crogh Cutlery Co.

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Some info for you...

There are called "Hardware Brands" much like today if you walk into ACE hardware you would find many well known products re-branded with the ACE logo.. ie: 3M tape and filters are often marked ACE...

Most of these Hardware brands were either German or American and are very good shavers... Some are very recognized as great shavers Craftsman, Shapliegh..

As to the Barbers notch,
    First, it isn't actually even called that, as far as the research shows nobody has ever found it referred to anything other than "Hollow point" or "Hollow Notch" in any of the older printed material.. Older as in pre-1960 and not "Collector Books" collector books are probably the worst for verifying real info... (If anyone finds a company ad, etc: that has it please forward me the link)

It seems that a "Hollow Notch/Point" is just another point style from the old Ads and literature they are listed just the same as Spike/Square, Round, Oblique and Spanish/Dreadnought...

Much has been written about the "use" but nothing has ever been proved (if you find anything in older ads or literature please forward me the link) if you actually think about some of the uses they have been given, and then realize that these hollow notches range from 3/8 -10/8 size razors, many of the attributes given to them fall apart...

Keep in mind, I do not know for sure either, I am only giving you the info that we have found so far.. Never make assumptions in Razordom, things change and new info is found all the time...

8. ShavedZombie

ShavedZombie Member

There are two camps of thought for the Barber's notch... Either it's for barbers to quickly open the razor one handed (EX: Hook the notch on a shirt pocket and rotate the scales) or it's purely decorative.

I'm personally in the second camp. Barber's notches were, long ago, known as "hollow points", which implies to me that it's just a style not serving a true purpose... However, barber's notches are my favorite tips... Cool lookin' :D

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    True Story

I had a lady at an antique store tell me a straight was broken as she handed it to me.

It was just a barber's notch. :happy097

10. The Anachronist

I've got to admit, I may have exploited that! :happy102

Thanks for all the advice! I couldn't find anyone anywhere else that'd heard even a bit about the company.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Can't recall why but I passed on the razor. I'm a firm believer in razor rescue, so it had to have been something major to make me walk away. Probably the price. Some of them people think they have unobtanium, the prices they're asking.