Tabac...I am disappointed

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BeardlessBloke, Nov 8, 2010.

1. BeardlessBloke

BeardlessBloke New Member

I wrote the title grammatically incorrect so it will catch the eye:rolleyes:
    So here's the deal:
    I just couldn't stand the temptation and I grabbed a bowl of Tabac.
    I rushed home and tried it about an hour ago.
    My first expression...where's the floral scent?
    It smelled like plain soap to me.
    Lather was OK,but not superb.
    The interesting part is when my mom just walked into my room...where I keep my shaving stuff, made a grin an commented "Why does it smell like Raid bug spray in here?" Then she told me I smelled like it too:D
    I used Lucky Tiger as an A/S but it didn't seem to hide that bug spray scent...
    What do I do now?I have the original packaging and wrap.If I wait for the puck to dry,would I be able to return it back to the store,pretending "Nothing ever happened?":rolleyes:

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am sure some one here will buy it offa ya. :D

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just like Williams and MWF, Tabac has its lovers and haters. It is one of those soaps that seems like there's no middle ground.

Not that I'm in the market, but I love it.

By the way, where did you hear it has a floral scent? That's a first for me.

4. slonenek75

slonenek75 New Member

I like tabac , never had any problems with that, scent is not one of my favorites, but lather is good. After sometime scent is not that strong, that's just my opinion.

5. BeardlessBloke

B&B members persistently persisted that it smelled like the flower blossom of tobacco

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, there ya go. I don't visit B&B and I've never smelled tobacco blossoms.

They may be right. All I know is that I like the smell and it gives me a great lather and shave every time.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Tabac has basenotes of bergamont and lavender which is where the floral reference comes from. I definitely don't get any bug spray vibe off it. I find it lathers very rich and creamy and shaves quite well. As was mentioned though, not everybody is into it. I would say you probably can't return it at this point. Put it up in the classifieds.

8. Montecristo #2

Montecristo #2 New Member

What store did you buy it at? You're spoiled to be able to buy it locally.

9. BeardlessBloke

Well I live in Vienna.They only sell the AS and EdT at most stores, but I was able to find it at Müller's.
    That's where I also found Speick,but resisted :rolleyes:

10. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Wow. You used it ONCE! ONCE! ONCE! That certainly makes you an expert. Use it for two weeks or more and then come back and comment. And I would say that about Williams or any other product. You have NO IDEA whether it is a good product or not.

St. Croix

11. He never said it was not a good product, just something that didn't suit him and it failed to live up to his expectations. I'm sure everyone has tried some kind of product at some point and been slightly disappointed in it. Some things just work for some people and some things just don't work for others. That's why "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) is such a fitting motto in this hobby.

12. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Considering the source of you info about Tabac I can see why you would be disappointed. It was the first soap I bought when I returned to using vintage shave equipment. Loved it for not only its scent, a tobacco scent for sure, but also its lathering capabilities. In my opinion it is one of the best you can find on the market today.

I suggest that you give it a few more tries and see how it lathers for you. Maybe, just maybe the scent will grow on you. Like the man said, "YMMV".

13. faster_than_u

faster_than_u Member

For me that lather was alright(a gut2,2 palm stick was alot better) and the smell was like a funeral home lol I couldn't stand it at all.

14. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I'd call the store and ask if they'd take it back because I hated the scent

except that I don't mind the scent myself

15. bbarton713

bbarton713 Member

I like the scent enough that I bought the ASB and some bath soap that had that scent too.

It lathers well but I can see where it wouldn't be worth it if the smell put you off because the lather isn't THAT good. :D

16. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

I agree with St. Croix, keep trying it for a few days. It may be once you accept the scent for what it is, and not what you were expecting, that you;ll come to enjoy it! I've done that before with a couple of frangrances. If not, then put it up in the classifieds and surely someone will buy it from you rather quickly.

BTW- I am reminded of Tobacco when I smell Tabac. Tobacco flower or tobacco drying in a barn. While it might not have the scent directly in the fragrance, it could certainly be made to represent it. (Much like Pino Silvestre doesn't have any pine in it, but certainly smells like Pine woods!) And yes, I am a Tabac lover. Have the huge 10oz after shave bottle and am looking to get the cologne soon too.

17. BeardlessBloke

Now don't get me wrong. I love the AS and EdT versions of Tabac.
    As far as I can say I'm using it for the third time with today's shave.
    I superlathered it with some Maca root cream.
    I don't like the scent of Maca root either , but I must say the two combined to actually smell...interesting and new.

18. bbarton713

bbarton713 Member

Interesting...I like Maca Root so I wonder what the superlather would be like for me!

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

First time lathering with any new puck often is marginal. After a few runs I expect your lathering will improve significantly. Tabac is one of my best lathering and shaving soaps. The more I try others, the more I appreciate my Tabac.

20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Perhaps the members in question had actually smelled a tobacco blossom, or they may have been simply relaying opinions read online. In any event, different flowers have different scents. Tabac has a soapy and talcum powder-like smell to me.