Finding the right straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by aberneth, Nov 8, 2010.

1. aberneth

aberneth Member

I've been looking for a while, looking for the perfect first straight razor. I've turned up nothing. Maybe you fellas can help? I want something in either 7/8 or 8/8 wedge, spanish point. I would prefer natural material for the scales (horn, wood, bone, etc). Help me start a new AD!

2. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I applaud your enthusiasm :1respect
    I couldn't envision a huge wedge as my first razor; that's a lotta steel to be slinging around :D
    I'll keep my eyes open.

3. aberneth

aberneth Member

My beard needs a lot of momentum behind the cut.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey Bro, it is your shave, so have it your way, but I have to ask a couple of questions for my own education:

Why a wedge?

Why a spike point?

Why 7/8 or 8/8?

Why natural materials for the scales?

I am sure that these are your preferences, and I have no preferences at this time, so I am just wondering what brought you to the conclusion that you want the attributes that you want.

Thanks in advance.

5. aberneth

aberneth Member

My dense, course beard tends to lead to a lot of skipping, ergo the desire for a big, thick, heavy blade. And something about a singing blade makes me uncomfortable... I could settle for half or quarter hollow.

I do keep pretty fine sideburns and a goatee, so I want something that is going to allow for a lot of precision.

As for natural materials, I guess what I mean to say is that I have an aversion to plastic. Plastic... I just don't like it. For lack of a better word, it seems cheap to me. The same rule applies to brushes for me.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thank You for the insight.

Plastic, while it may seem cheap is made from oil, which is anything but cheap these days!

I am still on my quest for a great straight. I am sure I will find it in week or two.

Give or take a week or so.

7. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Get a Wampi

Issy

8. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

trying to find an older straight to meet what you are looking for is getting harder and harder, they can be found occasionally but the big wedge choppers do command a premium

an alternative may be to check out Butch's work http://www.classicshaving.com/harner.html there is (was) few wedges and a few 1/4 grinds as well as the sizes and scale material you are looking for, they are great blades

there are also a couple custom makers but that is even more money

but you will never find the "perfect" straight there is always 1 more or 1 better, I tried and after buying way too many over the years I quit looking and am happy with what I got...for now

9. Montecristo #2

Montecristo #2 New Member

As many of these guys will tell you:
    "The only perfect razor is your next razor"
    GL w/ SRAD!

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    See Charlie Lewis aka Spazola at SRP he just did what you are asking for...

11. Thomo

Thomo New Member

The Invisible Edge have the type of razors you're looking for. Either new or restored vintage. I bought a similar razor to what you describe (although with dreadnought point) from them and it was made about 1880. I do caution you though this is a razor that requires some experience. I would try a 6/8 half grind first with a round point or, for the precision work a square point.

Good luck!

12. Try to find one thats not curved !

13. aberneth

aberneth Member

My quest is temporarily on hold. I just racked up $390 in landscape modeling supplies to complete a landscape architecture project. Stupid art classes. No straight razor for a while, I guess.

14. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Hi aberneth,
    I dont have a heavy beard but I am interested to know if a wedge really is better for a heavy beard?
    I never figured a higher mass razor and kinetic energy would come into shaving.
    Would a hollow grind just not be upto the job?
    I have a wedge laying around which I havent honned yet because it has a dent in the edge and will take some time to hone out. Fancy it now though just to see how a wedge shaves.
    I'll take a picture in day light.
    If you like it you can have it for free, just use it :)
    Ps, just looked at the razor and its not very much to hone out at all.

15. aberneth

aberneth Member

The thinking behind the higher mass is not that it needs momentum in the direction of the stroke, but that it needs momentum perpendicular to the face to help avoid skipping.

Now, which one of you wants to front me the cash to buy this razor?

EDIT: Wow. Uh... I totally didn't notice that you offered to send me a straight razor... Maybe I was in denial? Anyhow, I'm going to take you up on that offer, on the stipulation that you let me reimburse you for shipping. I am humbled by your grace and generosity.

16. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Sure is a good looking razor, I like the scales very much.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy096

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Good show, Spartacus 6/8!

19. aberneth

aberneth Member

Wow. Uh... I totally didn't notice that you offered to send me a straight razor... Maybe I was in denial at the extraordinary offer? Selective sight? Anyhow, I'm going to take you up on that offer, on the stipulation that you let me reimburse you for shipping. I am humbled by your grace and generosity.

20. woodturner

woodturner Member

aberneth,
    Since you will now be on the receiving end of a Pay it Forward, just remember to do the same at some point in the future. Some of the best people on this board! :happy108