Newbie with issues

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Stelios, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Stelios

Stelios New Member

Hey all.

New to the site and safety razor shaving.

I am having issues with my shaving technique, the end result feels like a matchstick box and not very smooth.

I have watched lots of tutorials and read lots of blogs and it seems I am following the technique and I shave after a shower and lather very well with proraso and brush.

I think the problem is the Derby razors, a colleague bought me them with a present from Turkey and my concern is that they could be counterfeit or just not the right type for my face.

I was thinking of getting some new razors today, what do you all think?

Stelios

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den ! A great
    community of guys and gals that enjoy wet
    shaving , I hope you enjoy your stay !

While its not required, how about you hop over
    to the Newbies Section
    and give yourself a proper introduction
    thread , I 'm sure you' ll receive many warm
    welcomes from the friendly folks of this
    community .

I would definitely recommend you try other blades, and order a sample pack if you can, that will help you find the blade that works best for your skin/whisker type.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. Welcome!! if the product is 'fake can' cause, you may wish to change ...

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

Blade samplers are the way to go for sure.

6. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Personally I find the genuine Derbys to be not very good. Its worth trying other makes.
    Other tips are to use an abundance of hot water held to your face with a flannel (at least 1 minute).
    Are you trying too hard to achieve BBS? Having learn't how to get a BBS shave I now no longer bother and just go for the one pass approach. I don't mind 5 o clock shadow (at 5 o clock).

7. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

PS
    Welcome to the shave den.
    I hope that between everybody you will get great shaves soon.

8. tomjl12

tomjl12 New Member

I'm relatively new and the couple of things I learned in the past two weeks is take slow, short strokes and reduce the pressure. I really want to press down to get close but it doesn't help at all. That leads to one other lesson I learned. I can't shave in one pass. I get an acceptable result with two passes and I'm afraid three will cause more irritation.

Good luck!

9. tomjl12

tomjl12 New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention my experience with blades. I ordered a sampler pack and there really is a big difference between brands. I found a number of people like Derby's but they just don't work for me. I've been really happy with Astra and 7AM blades and have about six more brands to try. I'm saving the Feathers for last as a few posts indicate that you really need to have correct technique to minimize the nicks with these blades. Other than the Derby's, I have not cut myself with any other brand.

10. Stelios

Stelios New Member

Thanks for all the great replies, I will look at the sample packs.

I do love the fact im shaving like this, but I need to be patient to get it right.

Will have a look at newbie section too...

Thanks

S

11. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

never did like derby my self. it takes practice with time you'll get BBS

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046

13. E-mursed

E-mursed New Member

Welcome to TSD!

I bought a whole sleeve of Derby's when i started DE shaving.
    Big mistake.

The quality is highly suspect and can vary.
    I prefer Personna Red for a gentle shave, but the Sharks when I want a really great close shave.

There are other great varieties, but as has been said - buy small first till you find what works and then stock what you like.

14. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

welcome.
    if you mean that your face is burning and red after shaving, it probably means too much pressure. burning and redness usually means that you removed a layer of skin- equivalent to a first degree burn; usually that comes about from too much pressure. go slow, take short, light strokes, try to reduce the beard on each pass, not completely eliminate it all at once; it should feel like the blade is gliding over your skin.

15. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I remember my first week of DE shaving yielded me the worst razor burn ever! Your technique will get better very quickly, so keep at it! I for one, dislike Derby blades. I've always found the various blades of the Gillette 7 o'Clock line to be the mildest on my own face.

Also, I would stay away from AGT passes for now until you refine your technique.

16. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

If someone handed you a trombone you would not expect to master it in a week. Same thing with wet shaving, be patient and perfect your technique.