Blueberry Syrup

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Michael, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

If you like blueberry syrup on your pancakes, you’ll LOVE this!! If you don’t, you will!

2 cups fresh blueberries (about 1 pint)
    ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
    Zest of 1/2 lemon

½ cup water

1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon water
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and 1/2 cup water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer.

While that’s cooking, in a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water and the lemon juice. Once the berries start to simmer, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.

Serve the warm blueberry sauce over pancakes. Serves 4.

Saw it in a Williams-Sonoma catalog - looked too good not to try! ENJOY!!

Attached Files:

2. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

0h man! :drool:drool:drool:drool

I wonder if this will work with splenda....

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Heretic!

:signs113

4. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

nah, diabetic... :o

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I didn't know that sue. Is this something new?

6. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

the past few years... I have it under control, but I want to keep it that way... I am still drooling over that picture tho!! :drool

I am becoming the queen of splenda... :rolleyes:

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Open mouth, insert foot!! I'm sorry about the crack, Sue. I had no idea. I'll try to make up for it...

According to the Splenda website, "1 cup of SPLENDA® Granular is equal in sweetness to 1 cup of sugar." Other places contended that heating it sometimes does weird things to the taste and/or texture though.

What have you got to lose? Give it a shot (but have some other syrup on hand, just in case). ;)

As for Splenda vs heat....while looking around, I found someone who claimed to be the inventor of Bakelite! They said they tried to carmelize Splenda in a fry pan! Voila - Bakelite!! Hope it wasn't an All-Clad or Mauviel pan! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:rofl

Let us know how the syrup works out. And slap me next time I say something like that, Luv!!

8. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I am going to try it in the rootbeer too... I have gotten quite adventurous with splenda lately... :D

No bad Fergie, but I am not going to spank you, you might want more....... :rofl:rofl

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I said SLAP, not spank, dear. Hmm, on the other hand, ya never know...

:taunt005:happy102

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Have you tried to use the baking version of Splenda? Not sure what the difference is frmo regular. Sorry to hear about the diabetes. Take care of yourself.

I'll be looking closer at the blueberry syrup recipe. I might adapt it to bananas and or strawberries.

11. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I think that it will. The properties of Splenda seem to work well in recipes.

12. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

nice recipe. can also substitute other fruits. (blackberries, cherries and peaches immediately come to mind)

13. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

If you really want a sweet syrup...try Ribbon Can syrup.

St. Croix