New straight. New Options?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by ocharlas, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Just got a new straight off eBay, put a bid on a "Wade & Butch" from Sheffield. When it got here, sure enough there was the "er" nice and faint. Anyway, the blade looks to be in good shape, but the scales have a small crack in the butt...yes I know. crack in the butt. I hear good things about Wade & Butchers so it would be nice to have this one straightened out. I have another straight with a chipped black but nice scales. Can I/should I pull the ol' switcheroo'? For now neither of them are going to get used since I just got a DE straight, or disposable straight whatever you want to call it - Straight that uses DE blades. So I'll be practicing on that for a while until I get my ducks in a row. Anyway here's a nice blurry shot as per usual:

[​IMG]

2. Utopian

Utopian New Member

What are you calling the butt of the scales? Is it the pivot end or the wedge end? If the latter, you can probably get by with just leaving it. If it is the pivot, then you will likely need to swap it if the crack goes through the pivot pin, which most of them do.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wow! The OP was over a month ago, sorry I missed it!

Well, I suppose you could switch the scales, but if the blade is worth saving, send it to Glen for a refresh and rescale!

4. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

yeah I was thinking about doing that with both my butchers, but right now although liquid assets are not necessarily nonexistant, they ain't necessarily existant neither. Ballpark, how much would something like that run around normally? any ideas? I'd really love to get one of my straights shave ready, I've been using the "magic" shavette (as in it "magically" paints your face red)