Opinions on blades for first shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by docshaver, Dec 31, 2010.

1. docshaver

docshaver New Member

I now have all my supplies and ready for my first shave. I am using a EJD89L for my razor and some T&H cream. What blade would you suggest a first time DE shaver try? I have:

1) Feather
    2) Derby
    3) Lord Platinum
    4) Wilkinson Sword
    5) Personna Platinum
    6) Astra Platinum
    7) Treet Platinum

I got these in a sampler kit and plan on sticking with one type for a couple of weeks, then begin to change types every couple of weeks until I get a good idea of what works for me. Especially since I am just starting out and need work on my technique. I will also be keeping a journal of the products that I try to find the combination that is right for me.

So let me know you opinions, because I plan on doing first shave tonight:eek:

PS if anyone suggests using feathers first, you are just mean

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Outside of closing your eyes and grabbing one, I will suggest the Personna.

3. 5t8t2u

5t8t2u Member

Start with the one you have the lowest expectations for. Your technique will improve over time, and so I also suggest you go back to a particular brand 6 weeks after first using it to compare the experiences.

4. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

lol, before I read to the bottom of your post I was already thinking about telling you to start with the Feathers. :D

What ever you use remember; SLOW, SHORT STROKES (the three Ss. Did I just invent that term).

Keep your face hydrated with plenty of water. If you feel its getting dry put more water on your face and re lather. let us know how it turns out.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

+1

The Personna is a good blade that's right in the middle in term of sharpness and aggressiveness. While it may or may not end up being a favorite, it has a very low chance of being a really bad blade for you.

Only blade I'd avoid as a first is the feather.

6. chadstar

chadstar Member

:sihns011

7. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Yup, I echo pretty much what everyone else is saying. I would not start with the Feather. YMMV, but I always think that Feathers require a level of respect/technique that you won't have on your first shave.

8. docshaver

docshaver New Member

I had read enough on the feathers to know that I was not starting out on them. From what I have heard so far, personna seems to be the pick.

It will still be a few hours before the event takes place, so opinions are still welcome.

9. CSL

CSL Member

I'd suggest the Derby. Considered a mild, but effective blade by many.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

11. newb

newb Resident Newb

:sihns011

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

My 2 pennies worth would be that any of the above would be fine to start with, and if you find that one or two of the brands don't work for you, save them and revisit them in the future after you get your technique nailed.

13. swarden43

No! Don't do it!! Derbys tug and pull!!! I've never had an irritation free shave from a Derby!

Honest. But you gotta try 'em. They may just work for ya. Hope they do! :happy088

14. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

You've probably made your decision and shaved with something by now. If it worked out, great. If not, keep trying!

I'll go along with the general consensus of not risking Feathers for a first shave, although when I tried them for the first time, I couldn't understand what all the fuss had been about. Yes, they were sharp, but then, they're supposed to be. Other than that, I wouldn't overthink it. A shave can go wrong with any blade, and even when you get the technique down, you're going to prefer some to others, but most "normal" brands are going to be at least okay.

15. Certainly not the feather. I recommend a blade longer 'quiet, maybe personna would be fine. Even Wilkinson (classic?) are pretty good for first experiences ...

16. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I would say Astra. It's sharp, and it will give you an idea about presure and angle. It doesn't tug like a derby, and it's not that sharp as a Feather!
    I don't remember how the Personna blade was.. But I know the Astra helped me in better judging the angle and pressure :)

17. swarden43

Thank you. :happy088:happy088 I agree 100% about the Feathers.

18. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

We tend to over-think this stuff. I tried a few blind tests - my wife would put different blades in three identical '40's style Super Speeds. Tried it with Iridiums, Gillette yellows, Derby's, Sharks, and a few others. I could sorta tell the "best" blades from the "good" blades, but beyond that my guesses were pretty random, even when one of them was a Feather.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Really, Steve? Me, I find the Derbys very gentle and forgiving. :)

20. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Hi there Jeff!

I remember Derbys were good when I went through the sampler pack.
    But now, I don't find them not that good as they first seemed.