The Haul: January 10th - January 16th, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Jan 10, 2011.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great Hauls Ya'll!

So, I will admit that I did talk a bit harsh about Queen Charlotte Soaps in that I was appalled at the shipping prices.

Flash forward a bit and my shipping issues have been worked out, so I placed an order for a sampler, and here it is. These are very generous samples, and they smell simply divine! We have one each of:

Basilica, Cedarwood-Lemongrass, Celestial Woods, Key Lime and Lavender.

Like I said, they all smell divine! Especially the Celestial Woods, which has a serious pine punch and I look forward to shaving with it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

3. wyatt46

Nice Hauls Gentlemen

From my Dad for my Birthday...
    This store front plexi sign from a local Barberhop ran for years by the recently deceased Wayne Otterbein.
    Wayne was a bit of a local celebrity.
    I will be proud to hang this sign in my Shave Den.

HPIM1065.JPG

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Nice one Wyatt, a one of a kind. There is something a bit wistful about some barbershop collectibles, I mean they signify a life, usually many decades of work and the barber as a institution in the local community no longer there.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well said. My Italian grandfather and one of his sons, my uncle, owned and operated a barbershop in Greenville, Mississippi located in what we call the Delta (home of the Blues!). My uncle used to (he passed away a few years ago) share stories about the old time barbershop and how they did things. It was certainly much different back then and is a craft that is dieing off very rapidly. I wish more than anything I could have gotten the sign from their barbershop.

6. freebird

freebird Active Member

Picked up a 32gig iPod touch yesterday evening,
    And am using it to post. Yep, I received
    My first check. :happy108

7. IAmTheJody

My latest addition - 1940s mint Gold Tech...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mitsimonsta

Mitsimonsta New Member

Here's what arrived today....

[​IMG]

That's two cartons....

[​IMG]

Each one with 20x boxes with 10 packs of 10 blades each. Grand total is 4,000 units.

I can shave with them exclusively until I am 140 years old :thumbup:

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I was given this for my birthday. Totally doesn't belong here, but I had to share.
    [​IMG]

:D

10. IAmTheJody

Wow! You must really, REALLY like those blades! :happy102

Sure it belongs here! I don't recall reading Show and tell was shaving-related-only.. or did I miss that?? Anyway.... I have so thought about getting one of those! Please do share how it does when you've used it. Very cool.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is a ton of blades.

I actually had to try it out last night. The dogs were great. It gave the casing a nice crispness you don't get in the microwave or by boiling, and the dogs didn't explode or split. The toasted bun was a nice touch too. It was super easy too, which is cool.
    The friend that gave it to me told me that they are no longer being produced, at least by the original company, so I don't know how easy they are to find.

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Now that's just cooler than a skeeter's tweeter. I want one! Any idea of a source?

13. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

This week's haul:

TOBS Eton College
    Replacement Speick Shavestick

Pulled the trigger at Bullgoose this morning. The wait begins.

14. Mitsimonsta

Mitsimonsta New Member

Sure is, and yes I do like them. Just as well as I bought a 100-pack to try before buying the cases, and then had to act before the original pack arrived as they were just about gone. I got the last 2 cases in existence from that seller.

I would agree, nothing worse than a split frank. Does it steam the frank or grill?

And a NOS 'Dog maker, that is awesome.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

He said he found this one listed NIB on ebay, but Amazon has one similar but from a different company. Not sure how it compares. The one I have is called a Hot Diggity Dogger.

I think it is almost like it is broiled. It looks just like toaster coils, and the dog sits inside a little basket to keep it spaced evenly.

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

My Tabac soap was waiting for me on the porch when I got home from work today, as was my Omega Boar 80005 with the beechwood handle from Shoebox Shaveshop. My first of both things, so I can't wait to try them out. I don't think I'll use them together to start with, because of course the boar will have a little learning curve for me, and I want to be able to assess and enjoy the soap from the start.

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great Hauls Ya'll!

I picked up an entry level Dubl Duck, the Special No. 1, after Bresduck changed to Pearlduck in 1953 I think?

It has some pitting but the edge is in good shape and I see very little hone wear.

This is the best picture I can get. The new camera is broken, an Olympus SP-600UZ. I never liked the thing anyway.

Attached Files:

18. wyatt46

Very Nice Jeff...
    Recently acquired a DD myself...nice razors

19. Oscar

Oscar Member

I found about Pasteur Pharmacy while searching for stores that sell Arko SS and it turns out that it is about 3 minutes of walk to my school! I never had an acquisition disorder and I managed to control myself yesterday, but I see a major acquisition disorder coming once the semester starts! There was so much going on that I felt dizzy; straight razors and strops, almost every model of Merkur, at least ten different kind of blades, not to mention all kinds of soaps, creams, aftershaves etc.

I ended up just buying the Arko, a deposit for used blades and some samples of Baxter AS Balm.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. IAmTheJody

Grabbed this little unique Gillette container today. This was way back when not only could you buy Gillette razors and blades, but shave soap sticks as well, circa late 1910s into 1920s. This isn't the container that came with the travel sets. These were sold as separate items and this is the first one I've seen in the wild. I've seen many old advertisements showing it but never seen one first hand. Really thrilled to have gotten this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]