SoS: 10-16 January 2011

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by 1OldGI, Jan 10, 2011.

1. sachin

sachin Member

SOTD January 10, 2011

C&S No.88 SS | RV Buffalo Horn with D01 Extreme Flattop | Hanasama Kamisori | Vicco Turmeric Cream

[​IMG]

2. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Bruce,
    I've actually been stalking Cellla for quite a while now and will likely pull the trigger sometime soon. Intrested to see how you like it four or five shaves in.

3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

The first time I used Proraso Pre-Shave Cream I had the same feelings and the scent of the Proraso reminded me of Vicks Mentholatum Rub with the heavy mentholated smell but after a few uses I got used to it and now use it everytime I straight shave and actually like the scent. Stay tuned GI and I let you know how it goes. The performance (great lathering, great cushion and glide) and the economy (low price for a large tub that lasts a long time) of this soft shaving soap is outstanding. :cool:

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Tuesday, January 11th

Hot shower
    Nivea for Men Extreme Comfort gel
    Gillette Fusion Phenom razor
    Nivea for Men ASB
    Canali Men EdT

5. Oscar

Oscar Member

Monday, January 11th, 2011

Finally, my blade sampler pack has arrived and tryouts for the correct blade has begun. I decided to keep everything except the blade constant to be able to make a correct comparison. So, for the next two months or so; the soap (VDH Deluxe), the razor (Merkur 11c), the brush (I have only one anyway) and pre-shave routine will be pretty much the same for my posts. Also, this thread will serve as a journal for these comparisons. Here's the first of the tryouts:

Tolsom Facial Cleanser
    Hot Towel with Pantene Pro-V on face
    Proraso Pre-Post Cream
    VDH Deluxe
    Vulfix 247 Pure Badger
    Merkur 11c Open Comb
    Derby Extra (1st shave, corked and then stropped on arm)
    Cold Water Rinse
    Thayer's Unscented Witch Hazel
    Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion

Remarks: I decided to start the tryouts with a product of my very own country, which is Derby Extra. After the pre-shave preperation, I lathered up and did a North-South pass, applying no pressure at all. A South-North and a Ears-to-Nose pass followed that. Even at the second pass, I got a lot of nicks and bleeding; so I considered not doing the third pass. After a brief touch up, I did a series of cold water rinses followed by WH. The bleeding stopped I guess after the third time or so. Then I applied the Neutrogena Triple Protect, which is basically like a fire extinguisher for the face. The end result is actually not that bad, at least in comparison to other blades that I have used so far (Wilkinson and Dorco ST300). But still, I don't think that justifies all the bleeding and irritation one has to go through while shaving with these. I think I've read several people complaining about the same thing with Derby blades. So although I am really proud of one product of my country (Arko Shave Soap), I don't think I care much for this particular one. Oh and finally, in case you were wondering, "Paslanmaz Celik" means "Stainless Steel" in Turkish : )

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I love posts like this. This kind of thing is really what makes TSD such a cool place.

7. Oscar

Oscar Member

:sihns011

Great post Bruce...

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Hot Shower
    1960 Gillette Fat Boy
    VDH Boar
    Arko Shavestick
    Clubman Bay Rum
    Florida Water

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Tuesday, January 11

65’ Gillette Slim (setting 7)
    Derby Extra (2)
    Homemade Preshave Oil
    Tweezerman Badger
    Old Village Barber (OVB) Bay Rum SS
    Superior 70
    TSD Bay Rum Cologne

Darn Fine Shave today on 3+ passes.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Feather Portable Bull Mastiff
    RP Israeli Personna (2)

Speick Shave Stick
    Rudy Vey Finest

Alum
    Masters Bay Rum

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Nutragena Razor Defense face wash
    Hog rag
    Merkur Progress
    Feather (1)
    Mama Bear Masculine Musk soap (incredible--big billowing mounds of delicious lather. I will always try to keep some of this around from now on)
    Dickinson's witch hazel
    English Leather a/s
    styptic pencil :mad:

Still getting use to the DE. Same problem areas I remember having when learning with a cartridge: under the jawbone, around the curve of the chin, right under the earlobes. A lot of razor burn on my neck and a couple of weepers because of too much pressure. Keep getting a little bit of a scrubbing/bouncing thing if my strokes are too light. Ah well, it'll get better with practice.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Tuesday From Florida!

Hot Shower
    PanChango Apple Juice Brush - Thanks Dale!
    Speick Stick
    Gillette Injector
    Pella Blade (3)
    Cold Water Rag
    Speick Splash

3 Passes = Speicktacular DFS!

Here I am, face lathering two days in a row! I don't like face lathering, but the PanChango Apple Juice Brush was screaming at me telling me that it is the perfect face lathering brush, so I caved. I am glad I did!

Have a great day Ya'll!

Attached Files:

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice Shave Jeff.

Enjoy the brush.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

A favorite of mine aswell...Gillette was right when they said "The best a man can get"...only its the early Super Speeds that fit that phrase...
    I remember the Friday night fights...I remember giving my Dad a hard time about using a Schick, cause I dug the Super Speed commercials...I mean every great ball player and John Wayne...What more could you want??

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tuesday

Prep: Hot shower
    Coffee: Costa Rica Royal Tarrazu, BLACK
    Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sweet Orange
    Brush: H. Stern Co. 10006
    Razor: Gillette '58 TV
    Blade: ASR Platinum Chrome, day 2, 3+ passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, Dickenson's WH, Ogallala Bay Rum Lime & Peppercorn As/Skin Toner, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Steve's Own

Shave Rating: 4 Blades

16. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Slim Adjustable
    Wilkinson Classic (3)
    TGN SilverTip Badger
    Proraso Sensitive Shave Cream
    Nivea Sensitive AS Balm
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Up early enough to shave before work today for once...the slim set on 1 is soo mild, feels like a stick of butter is melting the hairs of my face. 3 passes to DFS, and a nice proraso menthol/AV Ice blue combo to wake me up. 4 blade shave, yo

and don't worry, I was still plenty late to work...

17. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

EJ Razor with Ebony Handle
    Gillette 7:00 Yellow Blade
    C&E BBB
    Master's Soap
    TSD Iced Lime AS Milk

18. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Razor: Merkur Futur
    Blade: Gillette "Swede"
    Brush: Vintage Rooney Beehive
    Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Soap: Trumper Violet (with tallow)
    A/S: Taylor Mr. Taylor

I recently acquired a vintage Rooney brush and some vintage blades and decided to try them out for today's shave. The Gillette Swede lived up to its reputation and delivered a very smooth shave. I think the Butterscotch Rooney Beehive will be a catch and release. While it is a fantastic brush, it is much larger than I generally prefer (I face lather). Look for it on the B/S/T soon.

19. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Soap: Prairie Creations tallow and lanolin (unscented)
    Brush: Edwin Jagger best badger
    Razor: iKon classic head, long handle
    Blade: Feather
    A/S: Kiss My Face unscented olive/aloe cream

Nice smooth 3-pass shave. I recently acquired the iKon from BullGoose. It truly is a thing of perfection and beauty. I've gotten several nice shaves, but the jury is still out. It is very mild, and I don't feel like I'm getting a good shave unless I go three passes. With my favorite Merkur Progress, I can do first pass on 3, second pass on 2, and call it good for an ordinary work day. A third pass on 1 is optional when I want a perfect smooth face.

20. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Art, Oscar and Lloyd, thanks Guys! After I saw my post I thought that I had a case of blabber mouth going on about my memories of my Dad and childhood fascinations but, I guess it brought back some memories for a lot of us. Lloyd, great to hear that you had a similar experience with your Dad and the old "Friday Night Fights". Those were classics and what makes them so memorable is that we were able to spend time with our Fathers and learn from him as he prepared us for manhood. I think a lot of the Gentlemen on this forum are attracted to wet shaving not only for the performance factor of the DE, SE, Injectors or Straight razors over the current "cheese-graters" that are being marketed today but, for the nostalgic factors as well. To shave with some of the vintage equipment that our Fathers or Grandfathers used (sometimes the very razors used by them) along with the shaving soaps, brushes and mugs is what makes us so dedicated to wet shaving. ;)