Travel coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Dexterous, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

My wife says I'm going to Florida with her next month. For me the trip will be 10 days of Desperately Seeking Starbucks (Biggby's, etc.) as I cannot survive on the swill served at most restaurants and hotels. I know our lodgings will have the obligatory, tiny coffee maker but I would prefer to take my own equipment and coffee. I have a Melitta cone and filters, of course, but I've been looking at the Bodum Stainless Steel Thermal Travel Coffee Press as my maker. Any suggestions from you veteran travelers as to an effective coffee maker and kettle would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

What part of FL are you traveling to? Jeff and I live in Lakeland and there are two Starbucks here.

Of course, no Caribou Coffee here, which was my preferred coffee when traveling in Minnesota and Michigan. ;)

3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102 :happy102

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Heading for St. Augustine. Are there Biggby's (formerly Beaner's) in Florida?

5. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

My suggestion..

Hello!

I too am a fan of fine coffee. I would invest in a nice "French" or press-pot and an electric kettle. Take along coarsely ground coffee, but expect a little sediment at the bottom of each cup anyway. I've seen some press-pots at Target and Starbucks that have a rubberized exterior that would be better for travel I think. Also, set out your tap water the night before in the open kettle or large mixing bowl to allow the chlorine and so forth to evaporate - better yet, use filtered or bottled water. Hope that helps Enjoy your travels and enjoy them caffeinated!

6. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

No Biggby's in FL, the closest is further up the coast. There are several Starbucks in St. Augustine though.

I have been wanting to try this place, http://www.laherenciacafe.com/, for a while now, we just haven't made it up to St. Augustine yet. I hear they have really good Cuban coffee.

7. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

You could buy a 4 cup faberware electric perculator. They cost about 37.00$ on Amazon.

8. helowrench

helowrench Member

My bags got pawed through twice due to a double walled stainless steel french press from Starbuck's

Even after I declared it, and offered to open up the bag and let them look.

Rob

9. helowrench

helowrench Member

a Perc, no way not for coffee that I am drinking.

Now an Aeropress, absolutely.

Rob

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Gee..........the TSA wants to manhandle the family jewels to begin with, and you're wanting to take coffee paraphernalia with you?:confused:

I needs my coffee but man, too far is too far.

11. Griz

Griz Member

You know, Florida is not all podunk city. You can buy all of the Starbuck's that you want in most places in the south, and most anything else as well.

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

:sihns011

Aeropress................definitely

13. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

14. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Try an aeropress. Use the motel coffee maker or a microwave just to get the hot water and then use the aeropress to make your coffee.

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

:happy088:happy088

17. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

Get yourself a Stanley Vacuum Bottle and carry the joe where ever you go.:D

Make sure you temper it with boiling hot water before you fill it.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So your being you posted back in January... how was the trip? What did you find? What did you wind up taking, if anything?

19. helowrench

helowrench Member

guys I have to tell you that while in CO for a business trip, I tried a local(ish) chain.
    Dazbog Coffee.

My review goes like this.

Once Dazbog opens its store in Dallas, Starbucks can suck it.

Seriously, if y'all get an opportunity, try some.
    Good stuff, good price.

Rob

20. jrocker

jrocker Member

starbucks VIA, its okay for instant if you like starbucks roasts.