thesoapguy soaps

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by rodd, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Oh that was sour :sick007

Maybe next time around.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think I was misunderstood. I meant it was too funny that he has two different quotes on the website for free shipping. On the main page it says orders of $80 or more, and the page you sent me to says $75, which appears to be right.

3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

No hard feelings, we're all just here for the shaves :D

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Rodd was generous enough to send me some samples of these soaps. Thanks, Rodd! :signs001

These are good soaps. I'll be buying some in the near future.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Glad they got there safely and that you like them. Thanks for the Issy soap, looking forward to trying it!

I am now working on a "Summer Citrus" bar of this soap, and I really like it. I think that I should have waited after cutting the bars before using the first one. The scent of this one is not so strong, and it is lasting longer. I think that it just needed some time to cure. If the rest perform like this second bar is, I will order more. I ended up cutting each loaf into 5 bars, rather than 6, because I like bigger bars, so I got 40 bars for $50.

6. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I, too, was lucky enough to sample some soaps from Rodd.

I got the vanilla oatmeal and the almond cookie and the best part of them both has to be the scent. It's girly, i'll admit, but it's simply wonderful to bathe in. I love the sweet smell of cookies and oatmeal and vanilla. It reminds me of my child hood and spending time with my sister/girlfriend.

It doesn't hang for long and light compliments my earthy scents.

The scent is a huge buying point for me. I think i'll buy some for myself. It doesn't seem to last extremely long, but I find that i'm more generous than I should be.

The price looks good.

I'll update if I have any more findings.

Thanks again, Rodd!

7. The Soap Guy

The Soap Guy New Member

Response from The Soap Guy

Hi! This is The Soap Guy. One of my customer's sent me a link to this site. I am happy to see that you like my soap.

I just want to respond to a couple points. Soap continues to cure forever after being made. My soap is cured when shipped, but will continue to cure.
    If you want a harder bar, just cut the loaves and leave the bars in a dry place until they are the desired consistency.

My soap should also be stored on a draining dish or somewhere else where it is not sitting in water as that will make it softer.

I do sell primarily to resellers who sell my products in their own stores or at craft fairs, farmers markets, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff Dorrian - "The Soap Guy"

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Welcome to The Shave Den Jeff! Great to see you here!

I have been using this soap every day, gone through a few bars, and I am really happy with the purchase. I will purchase again. Thank you!

9. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I just wanted to add that I received a couple of sample bars of this soap through a PIF from Rodd - Thanks Rodd! I like it alot, I have been wanting to try some of this type of soaps for a long time and now I think I am hooked on it. Gotta get me some more soap!

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

So....

the question still remains....

How will it lather? :D

Have any of you tried it for shaving?

I usually buy a bunch of bars of soap locally at farmer markets during the summer. I had assumed that they were actually locally made. Now I wonder if they are just locally chopped and re-wrapped. How would I actually know? :confused:

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Probably have to ask the sellers... No way to know as a hunk of soap is a hunk of soap. Don't know where it came from unless you ask or it is labeled.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Sorry, that was a rhetorical question. However, as you said, a hunk of soap is a hunk of soap. You are counting on the honesty of the vendor to label where the soap came from or be up front about it. Unless the vendor plainly said they purchased the soap elsewhere, you would either have to assume that A) they are being truthful and made it themselves, or B) they purchased the soap and are not being honest. Its a bit of a conundrum..... Like I said I usually buy a lot of soap locally during the summer markets thinking that I am supporting local soap makers. But now I have a seed of doubt about some of the vendors.

13. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Got an order of soap from the soap guy. Great stuff. My father in law has issues with the dyes and something is most soaps. I gave him a bar of the bay rum I got and he is now wanting more. Great stuff.

14. DClassic

DClassic Member

I've purchased from the soapguy on numerous occasions. Did in fact resale it. Then I started making my own. Great lather, great scents. The Lemongrass is a manly scent. The summer citrus my wife loves. I still have several loaves from him after a couple of years. You should really cut those with a soap cutter, their only 6 to 8 bucks. Cuts very smooth and straight. Knives just don't do any justice.

15. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Not everything is about shaving even though this is... The Shave Den. But sometimes a soap is for bathing not shaving ala this thread. And it makes me happy to see it.
    Looks like a great buy Rodd. Summer citrus sounds right up my alley.

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm sure they give fantastic skincare. I wonder if he makes any shaving soaps?

17. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Hey soapguy, I see your phone has a Chicago area code. Are you located near there?

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Glad to see this post bumped up again. Couple updates... Justin, tomorrows shave will be an attempt at lathering this soap. Some questions just need to be answered. :D

My wife has gotten hooked on the Summer Citrus. We are going through the soap a lot quicker with the two of us using it. Looking forward to placing the next order and trying some more scents.

19. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Holy crap. I just noticed that looks like incest. I meant my sister and/or girlfriend. They're not the same person. They just have similar scents and taste in scents. :eek:

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :D We're a really nice bunch of folks, aren't we, not teasing you about that.

I know I did a double take when I read the post originally.