My brush is shedding

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by lycidas, Feb 1, 2011.

1. lycidas

lycidas Member

I just bought a Vulfix badger brush (about $30) a couple of weeks ago. It is shedding a little bit, couple hairs here and there as I cleaned up - which I wasn't concerned about.

Today, I rinsed it out after my shave, gave it a few shakes in the sink to get rid of most of the water before setting aside to dry, and a big tuft came out of the almost exact center of the plug. Perhaps 1/8th" of hairs packed tight at the base.

So I thinks to myself, this shouldn't happen. Is it the fact that I am using the brush wrong? Is it because I bought a cheap brush? ...I mean, I expect even a $30 brush to last a _little_ while. Is it perhaps a defective brush that I should be returning to the store?

You can't see any discernible hole in the plug - the other hairs have moved in to take the place of the missing ones.

2. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

You did not buy a cheap brush. $30 is not high end, but by no means is it cheap. That much shedding should not happen. I would contact the seller and ask if it can be returned. One or two hairs on a new brush is not uncommon until it gets broken in. Then I rarely have any shedding. A plug coming out is another story all together. Let us know what happens.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto fer shere Ya'll.

4. geogaga

geogaga Member

I have one rebranded pure-badger made by Vulfix. Almost bald handle. Get a boar :)

5. lycidas

lycidas Member

I have emailed the store owner. I will let you know what the result is.

6. geogaga

geogaga Member

You will get another one if it still sheds after a month.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

8. lycidas

lycidas Member

Well I got an email back from the store owner. He wanted photos so I sent him a few like this one:

[​IMG]

The plug was right out of the middle of the brush and there is now a bit of a hole there. Awaiting the reply from the shopkeep.

So... I went out and bought a temporary brush: An Omega 10005 - wooden handle, boar. It says Pure Setola on the handle (which I found funny, isn't setola Italian for bristle? :D)

I tried it this morning. Shampooed it first and gave it a real good workout with that. Then rinced everything and made up a nice bowl of lather. Wow - can that thing ever lather. Application was not as soft as my badger, but worked very well (read needs breakin). Apart from the occational waft of smell I would get, it was great. I know the smell will go away, but I wonder if adding a drop of extra menthol would help in masking that?

9. geogaga

geogaga Member

Menthol is not a scent, it gives cooling sensation. Just keep using your brush or wash it with shampoo several times more and the scent will go away.

10. Racso_MS

Wash it a couple times with Borax soap. It's scent free and very mild. Use it for hunting clothes.

11. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

the only thing you can do is keep washing it. let it soak in water and shampoo over night. the smell will eventually go away.

I let it soak in water and a few drops of essential oil.

12. swarden43

Yup.

My Omega 10098 took about a week of shaves before it was stink-free.
    My Omega 10049 took a month of shaves!

EDIT: Just re-read your post, lycidas. You have a wooden handle brush? I wouldn't recommend an over-night soak.

13. Fido

Fido Member

I'd be asking for a replacement brush.

14. lycidas

lycidas Member

Just to keep everyone updated, the store owner crossshipped a new brush to me while I shipped him back the old one. It was here in 1 day. I was impressed. He also put in 30 Astra Plat. blades to say sorry about the issues.

Class Act. Worked out well. Used the new badger today and it is great.

Today is starting out to be a good day.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very cool, and a class act indeed! :happy096

I hope your new brush serves you up great lather for many years, thanks for the update. :happy088

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yes, great service. I'm glad it worked out for you.

17. swarden43

Glad to hear all is well.

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice, whatta great vendor! :happy096

Is the vendor Canada based?

19. Racso_MS

Congrats. Sounds like a vendor worth patronizing. If it's OK on this forum (a mod will have to say yes/no) what is the name of the vendor.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Umm... yes, please do.