My First Shave with a Voskhod

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spy Car, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Great - Thanks Jeff - that was a lightning fast reply!

2. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I got my order a few days ago. Shipping took maybe 3 days or so.

3. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Hardly a "fair test" but in my first outing with the LADAS I wasn't feeling the love like I definitely did with the Voskhods. So I pulled the blade to try again later. I was getting a little irritation with the LADAS (that I did not get with the Voskhod). I do need to give them another chance.

Bill

4. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Just to add I also got 7 shave off the volkstads

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

When I changed the blade out today it was pretty rusty... I'll probably keep this blade to 3 shaves, 4 at the most.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I never had a problem with rust. Maybe it is because I dip the razor in 90% alcohol before hanging up to dry?

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

That might explain it. I've never done that and don't plan on starting now. I like to keep things simple. Besides, any unprotected metal rusts in Texas pretty quickly. I would imagine Florida would be similar.

8. geogaga

geogaga Member

All non-stainless non-totally-coated blades will rust quickly.

9. dragosb

dragosb Member

The Voskhod has the honor to be my learning blade :D
    I got my slim today and I got a beautiful BBS with it @5 combined with the Voskhod. I think I'll go down to 4, as 5 was a little too aggresive for a noob like me. Anyway, I'll stick to the Voskhod for a while until I improve my techique and then I'll try some mild considered blades such as Astras and also the mighty Feathers to see the difference.

10. skvinson

skvinson New Member

Love my Slim. Can't wait to try it with a Voskhod.

11. dragosb

dragosb Member

After about 10hrs after the shave I'm still (almost) BBS. I'm hooked forever, never going back to cartridge. Why can't my hair grow faster so I can shave 2-3 times/day? :(

12. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

I wish you many happy shaves to come Dragos!

Bill

13. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Back in the post about my first shave I thought the glue from a previous blade on my Futur cap caused the Voskhod to become misaligned - off center. The same thing happened again today. It turns out there is enough play in the slots for aligning the blade to cause it to snap in off center if you aren't pay attention. I'm not sure if this is the case with other razors because the Futur is the only one I've tested out so far.

Is anyone else using these with a Futur? Another thing is that the razors edge doesn't seem to get much clearance from the cap. It makes the blade pretty unforgiving, but at the same time takes another pass to get where I want my shave.

14. dragosb

dragosb Member

I could only push the Voskhod to 4 shaves. The 5th has a lot of tug... 4 passes + little buffing and a thick stubborn stubble.

15. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

Dragos must be muy macho :D

Bill

16. skvinson

skvinson New Member

Got my lot of 100 yesterday. I'm finishing up an Astra SS, then was really planning on some SE action. (Have a Clog Pruf coming and a Bullet Tip I haven't tried yet) Then I'll definitely give the Voskhod's a try!

17. dragosb

dragosb Member

I just have a thick stubble growing at an impossible angle :sad023

18. 11oss

11oss Member

Been reading this thread with interest and as I don't get on with Astra or Derby I thought Id give these a try.

Ok so I had to order a 100 but they are not expensive its worth the risk. Also got some blue birds on the way.

will be interesting as up until now I have tried most blades and I only like 2
    feather and persona reds. looking forward to trying these voskshod

19. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

:eek: Just found out my wife loaded up my second to the last Voskhad. Now I only have one left! I came home and she was like - you have GOT to order a bunch more of those blades. Best shave of her life!!! At least this time I won't get in trouble when I order up some more blades.

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

LOL... My wife won't go near my DE/SE/Straights.. However, if she complains about the 100 I just ordered without having tried one, I will just point her at that post. :D