Travelling with straights...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by MikekiM, Feb 12, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

My father was a collector of all things with an edge.. folding knives, pocket knives, advertising knives and yes.. straight razors..

I've posted in the past that when he passed away he left me his collection..

This spring I will be traveling to visit my mother who has been holding the collection for me. It would not be possible to bring the entire collection home in one trip unless I was driving, which I am not. So, I intend to bring home at least some of his collection and would like to start with the straights and any DE's he may have (which sadly, I don't expect to be too many).

From my last count when he was alive, I remember three leather travel rolls each with about 50 - 100 straights each. No idea what is in there, but it will be fun finding out!

Question is.. how to get them home.

Two options I can think of...

Box them up and FedEx them back to my home or office. Safe, insurable, trackable, no prying eyes, but certainly expensive given the weight.

Put them in my checked luggage and into the belly of the plane. This leaves them subject to all kinds of prying and poking and surely, they are at high risk of getting "lost".

Any other ideas?

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Terrible dilemma Mike. I chickened out on taking just one in my checked luggage, let alone a whole bunch, of which have sentimental value.

It might just be better to bite the bullet and have them shipped.

3. Krisegon

Krisegon New Member

Agreed! Before you do anything, you should take some pics and have them insured! ...and share the pics with us!

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I full intend to...

1) photograph them.. it's what I do..

2) Share them here.. I have no idea whether I'll find gems or junk, but I'll looking of help identifying them

Fortunately, I have a FedEx account and get a pretty good discount, but I'll have to do some research with my mom to see how much each roll weighs..

As far as insurance, guess it's some kind of stated value..just take a guess on what they are worth as I have no idea..

5. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

You may want to look into USPS flat rate

Issy