Where To Put the Dribble Port?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alienbogey, Feb 14, 2011.

1. alienbogey

alienbogey New Member

Okay, as documented on another thread this newbie has finally ordered a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle and, based on a recommendation, asked Julie to include a dribble port. Upon receiving the order Julie promptly asked where I wanted the dribble port to be, and I just as promptly replied that I hadn't a clue.

(Remember the part about being a newbie)

So, where should it go? I'm right handed, so I imagine I will be holding the scuttle with my left hand, with my left index finger through the handle (?), and tilting it to the right while I wield the badger brush with my right.

In that case, I would think that the dribble port should be........where?

2. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Mix some lather in a bowl as you would if you were using the scuttle. If you tend to lean the mug away from you, I would put the hole on the side towards you. What I am trying to say is you probably do not hold the mug perfectly level, so you would want the hole to be placed in the side which is in a higher position while you are mixing to help eliminate the problem of water accidentally getting into your lather.

I hope I made that sound clear.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wow! I have no idea what a dribble port is! I am lacking in my scuttle terminology! Oh Noaz!

To The Google's, STAT!

4. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

I set my scuttle on the right side of the sink on the counter, because that's where there's space for it. It sits with the handle facing me, so that the dribble port is on the right side. In other words, the port is at three o'clock with the handle at 6. That way I can more easily see how much water is flowing into the bowl. I tip the scuttle to the right for the water to flow.

Note: the scuttle is relatively heavy; while lathering, it's easier to set it on the counter than hold it in the hand .

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

This should be moved to the Clean Jokes forum, shouldn't it? It a joke, right?

Actually... I expect it isn't a joke, but.. I demand a picture of said 'dribble port'... What does it do? Doesn't the scuttle have a hole through which you fill the bottom with water? Is said 'port' the same hole or an additional hole?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From this link, post #12
    "Sorry- a dribble port is a very small hole placed near the top of the scuttle bowl. Tipping the scuttle slightly allows warm water to flow into the bowl, helping to adjust the lather while whipping it up. You can do the same with your hand or a cup; I just find that the lttle port works really well. Julie will add it N/C if you ask.

Jeff"

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I was amazed when I learned...you will be too

You'll also be mad at Robert :happy102

Personally, I have no idea where to put the dribble, either. It's a really good question

8. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

What or who promted you to even mention a dribble port? I also have never heard of this and have no idea the reason for it. If you can ask Julie this question and provide phots, it would be very appreciated. I've actually learned something (well not really) but I would like to know the who, what, when, where, and why of the Dribble Port. Tottally confused... :ashamed001 :confused::confused:

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Small hole in the top bowl portion of the scuttle. You can tip the scuttle one way to allow the water from the reservoir into the top bowl for lathering if your lather is dry without having to add water from the sink or faucet....just in case you didn't know....

10. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Thanks. I was honest, I'd never heard of a dribble port and did not know it's purpose.

11. freebird

freebird Active Member

This is the first time I've heard/ red the term dribble port.....makes sense now that I know the definition, but still wouldn't know where to put it either (and I know that sounds like a loaded question)

12. alienbogey

alienbogey New Member

Well, after reading all the posts and fiddling around with a plain bowl I decided that with the handle of the scuttle at 6 o'clock I will ask Julie for the dribble port to be at 4:30.

We'll see how it works out. She's out of stock and estimated 3-4 weeks for delivery.

13. alienbogey

alienbogey New Member

I've been using the scuttle for a couple of weeks now and the dribble port at 4:30 (counting the handle at 6:00) works well for me. (I'm right handed)

14. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

4:30 AM or PM? :happy102

15. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

If I were you, I'd have the dribble port done on the side of the lather bowl portion CLOSEST to the handle. THIS way you can lean the scuttle BACK as opposed to FORWARD where the SPOUT is. You won't be spilling water out of the spout. I thought about doing a dribble port, but that was just a thing I bypassed altogether. I can always add water...lol BUT if I were to have one done, that's where I would do it. :cool::D

16. alienbogey

alienbogey New Member

Yes, referring to the handle at 6:00 makes the spout at 12:00, so with the dribble port at 4:40 it work just fine to tip it away from the spout.