How long do your shave products last?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Art Vandelay, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

This is for those who've been up to this sketchy business of ours for a while now.

I'm curious how long your soaps/creams/sticks/aftershaves normally last ye? For those of you with a larger amount of products I know it's hard to tell, but I'm just wondering, for example, if you used one puck of Tabac, or Mama Bear's every day, how long would it last? I know triple-milled lasts longer. And if you used the same 3.5 or 4oz bottle of aftershave, how long would that last?

I don't know why I care. Just my OCD coming out, I guess. This is a good hobby for that.:o

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I think it multiples when I go to sleep. :shocked003

3. dragosb

dragosb Member

Now I understand what's with all that noise coming from the bathroom every night :think002

4. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Prior to getting RAD I could estimate my Mean Time To Empty. I used to go through a shave puck and aftershave in 4-5 months under exclusive use. Post RAD, with so many products now in my rotation, and not all seeing steady rotation time, such estimates are impossible.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Some estimates, if used daily:
    MWF - face only = 1 year, face & head = 9 months
    Puck VDH - 6 wks
    Puck Williams - 6 wks (only milled soap to go this fast)
    Speick Shave Stick - 3 months
    TSD AS Splash - 4 months (1 oz / month)

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

I can verify what Chemerik said. A puck of soap lasts me about a year, a Palmolive or Arko stick about three months.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only product that I have used up thus far are samples and my very first puck of VDH which lasted about a month.

Most other products I have used a few times and moved on to something else, or given the remainder of the product away.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I fear some of my stuff will outlive me :D

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

That is why I always keep at least one of my rotation mugs filled with a shave soap sample. That way, with everything else lasting a yr or more, I have at least one mug getting changed out more frequently-offering needed variety. TSD samples are great variety boosters.

10. freebird

freebird Active Member

Usually I can go 3 days before it's visibly noticeable that I haven't shaved.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ummm...wrong thread perhaps?

12. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

1 kg of Cella = 2 years.

13. timsclips

timsclips New Member

I have not finished one soap. I keep buying more and placing them in my rotation. I should be good for the next 4 years without buying another soap or cream. (But I know I will buy another before Spring has arrived.)

14. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, just about two years after putting away the canned creams, I think I've used up the following.
    1. Two or three pucks of modern Williams.
    2. One puck of vintage Williams.
    3. One puck of VdH
    4. One tube of Musgo cream.
    5. One tube of Proraso.
    6. One tube of Erasmic cream.

Considering that this is in rotation with quite a few other products which have not been used up, that could actually be a pretty fast burn rate. I may have used them less efficiently to begin with.

Right now still on the road and have two shaving sticks with me, D.R. Harris and Arko. The D.R. Harris has lasted well over a year now, but it doesn't come up that often in the rotation.

15. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I'm thinking between all the creams and soaps I currently have... ohh... maybe I've be 2 to 3 decades ensured to good shaving... that is assuming I never buy any more soaps or creams....

which.. well... will never happen!

16. Drei

Drei New Member

A puck Taylor of Old Bond Street (Sandalwood) did last 130 days.
    This was in daily use (by supressing my desire to rotation).

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The same here. I think I will be a great-great-grandfather by the time I use up everything. :happy102 (If I live that long!)

18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have gone through one entire puck of VDH deluxe, 1 small tube of C.O. Bigelow, and almost 1/2 of a big tube of C.O. Bigelow, almost an entire TSD ISZ SS container. All in a year and two months. This is also not taking into account all of the other stuff I have tried and have partials of and is only the "measurable" stuff I can account for.

All of that total cash value....maybe $25 bucks, so allowing for the partials I have used and their current missing content, perhaps $35 bucks for the year and 2 months. That is a pack of 10 Mach 5 cartridges.

If I wouldn't have bought the stuff I didn't NEED, this would indeed save money. But where's the fun in that :D

19. OakCreekHitter

OakCreekHitter New Member

A puck of Twinluxe shave cream lasted me around 2 months. I also have from them an aftershave face balm that has lasted me already 4 months and only a little more than half the bottle is gone. Seriously...these two items are the best stuff I have used in those product categories.

I also have an Art of Shaving styptic pen that probably will last me YEARSSS since I hardly get shaving nicks anymore with the Twinluxe cream. And have a Neutrogena Face Scrub that I use as a preshave regimen that lasts me around 2 to 3 months each tube.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have no idea. I have some stuff that's over two years old. It still gets used in the rotation, but here's what's happened:

Back when I had only a handful of soaps, each one was used once a week. Then I got more soaps - each one was used once every two weeks. You see where I'm going with this, I'm sure. Now everything gets used about once every five to six weeks. As I said, I have no idea how many shaves per puck that has come down to.