Smith and Wesson Straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Reformation Student, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

So, I was looking for a new knife the other night and came across a S&W straight razor. Now, I'm sure it's junk as far as shaving goes but at $19.99 I thought it was a beautiful piece to add into a collection. I'd post a link to it but I'm uncertain if that would be allowed. If a mod greenlights it, I'll come back with a post but in the mean time you can search for it at SMKW (dot) com.

2. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Interesting piece. The shape of the blade, the construction, bolsters with the engraving remind me of the Kreigar line.
    Let us know how it shaves

3. Reformation Student

Oh, I'm not buying it. I know S&W cutlery is made by Taylor brands, which, if I remember right, is a Jim Frost brand. Not sure I'd trust the steel. I wouldn't mind getting it and replacing the blade with a good blade but I don't see where I could remove the pivot pin without damaging the whole bolster. I particularly like the brown wood handle version.

4. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

Just trying to get it apart might very well damage something along the way. It may be press fitted . And generally, scales like that don't flex.
    I would also imagine those scales might be quite heavy as well with the linings and especially if the bolsters are solid.

5. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I found an image of that razor on my hard drive so here it is as an attachment

SWRD2S.jpg

6. Reformation Student

Good points. I think it's certainly just a collector's piece. Nice to look at and that's about all. Just struck my eye as very attractive.

7. Reformation Student

Thanks for the photo Hoglahoo. That's exactly the one.

8. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

That's got to be some heavy scales there. I'd be interested as to how they effect the ballance.

9. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I only have some experience with the Kriegars, MAN , they are heavy.Very similar construction. The balance on those is something close to a Bowie knife or small axe.

10. Reformation Student

That's a little too heavy to put anywhere near my face :eek:

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

looks unworthy to the brand in my eyes. I mean, just look at how the name's stamped on it....
    Just another item to fool the innocent unknowing customer...

12. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Yeah, I thought it was crooked too. Then I thought maybe they did it on purpose so you'd see the entire name when closed.
    Who knows. But I think you're right overall. Probably leased their name to someone. They should stick to guns. Just my two cents.

13. Reformation Student

I do believe they license their name to Taylor Brands. Taylor isn't known for making the best cutlery in the industry. They typically make the stuff you see sold on late night TV shows. I didn't have any impression of this being a usable razor at all. I just liked the scales.

Personally, I view most licensed products as more of a novelty than a usable item. For example, NASCAR (or some of the owners of cars) will license a driver's name to some knives. These are best left in the clam shell pack they come in because they will be so cheaply made. If you like to collect memorabilia about a particular driver, it's a nice piece to own. But never take it out to use.

This falls into that category for me.

The S&W name on the tang doesn't even look like a true part of the razor. To my eye, it looks like it was photoshopped onto the tang.

14. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Taylor brands is a good example of a bad example. It broke my heart when Camillus and Schrade closed shop and went Chicom.
    I own a few Rough Rider pocketknives. I don't know if they're made by Taylor or not. I got a 3 blade stockman for six bux that's a dead ringer for my 1978 Uncle Henry 897UH, except for the white bone handles.
    I also have 2 of their Barlows.
    The Rough Rider knives are actually pretty darned nice for a Chicom knife.
    The problem is the crappy 440A steel they use for the blades. It takes a sharp edge, if you use a diamond hone, but it won't hold it for spit.
    The 440C stainless steel blades on my old Uncle Henry knives take a much better edge and hold it much better too.

I also have a couple of Chicom straight razors. They are Master brand. The blades are much too thick and the scales much too heavy for me to put them near my hide.
    One of them has laminated wood scales that I can thin out to a proper weight, but I'd have to replace the blade with a good one.
    The factory blades would be more at home on a meat cleaver than a razor.

15. aberneth

aberneth Member

I've had a few S&W knives. My experience with them left a bad aftertaste. Terrible knives made of terrible steel. Good looking knives, but the blades were made cheaply of cheap steel. I might buy this S&W straight and try to get good wedge between those scales.

16. global_dev

global_dev Member

Cool looking scales, too bad the rep of the blade is so poor.

17. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU New Member

I've seen quite a few "razors" on eBay very much like that.

18. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Get one if you are new. DULL it and practice with it. Then retire it to the collector bin.

19. Reformation Student

Yes, Boss. :D