Star Stuck

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dslazar9, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I got a Star Razor at an antique store several months ago. It's gold and looks like/shaves like a Gillette Tech. I last used it a few weeks ago. When I tried to use it today I could not unscrew it. I tried running it under hot water and it's just plain stuck. Anybody else have that problem? Any ideas how to get it unstuck?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If it was me, I'd probably try soaking it in mineral oil.

3. mike72

mike72 Member

If nothing else works try using some plyers but first fold up a rag and rap it around where you're going to grip with your plyers so you don't mark up your razor.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Star is a great shaver and is easily in my top three favorite shavers.

If the mineral oil soak does not work, try a little P.B. Blaster I like it better than Liquid Wrench.

I don't know if it will hurt the finish of the razor though. In my case, some of the plate is faded and I like the shaver too much to not do anything for it.

5. Griz

Griz Member

Try the old standard WD 40. It will displace the water if any and it will penetrate into all of the cracks.

It should hurt anything on your razor at all.

Will N.

6. Dslazar9

Thanks folks, I'll try some/or all of these options. I'll keep you posted on the results.

7. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

You can try putting it in the freezer. If my memory of high school chemistry serves me correctly, atoms slow down due to low temperature, occupy less space with restricted movement, and cause cold related contraction. Remember the Seinfeld episode where George explained his shrinkage problem was due to the cold water! Anyway, metal that is locked in place or frozen may actually be easier to unlock if the components contract.

Waiver:

Just a theory. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

8. Dslazar9

I'll give it a try if lube fails. The shrinkage episode is the the second most
    memorable Seinfeld episode for me. Can anybody guess #1?

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The Soup Nazi?

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That episode where one of the characters was blacklisted from all doctors?

11. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

MASTER OF YOUR DOMAIN! :signs090

12. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

Use some Kroil, advertised as the oil that creeps. It penetrates very well and does not smell like WD 40 or liquid wrench.

13. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

If none of the ideas here work, and BEFORE you take a wrench to it, I can take a look at it when we meet up for the grab bag box if you want. I spent 10 years dealing with metals and parts on old machinery. Sometimes it could be a "reaction" between dissimilar metals. I would love to help.

14. Dslazar9

we have a winner!

15. Dslazar9

Greatly appreciate that! I'll certainly take you up on that if the multiple ideas above do not help.