Its a straight razor not a meat clever

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JAWilliams, Apr 21, 2011.

1. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Well here is the new one I have gotten. It is not a little light thing. It is heavy, beefy and truly a beast!!!!!!!

I looked it over when I got it (bought a lot of straights) and I can make out

Wa then tcher.

So I am thinking it is a Wade & Butcher. Don't know much past that. The only reason I am going to clean it up is because it is a wedge. If it were a deep hollow grind I wouldn't even think about it. But this baby needs lots of love and attention
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know anything past that. Don't know when it was made, how old or anything really. But I am sure you could take fingers off with it. Or it could be used as a small clever!!!:happy102:happy102

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Indeed you have there a W & B blade, probably from the 1890s or after, and maybe 6/8 width? Maybe 7/8? Anyway, nice find all cleaned up.

3. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

I'm a happy owner of 8/8 W&B chopper and I have to say, it is a fantastic shaver! Good luck with the cleaning, you got a nice razor!

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I have a W&B in that same design though it's a regular 5/8. If you can get that cleaned up, you should love the shaves a W&B gives.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It is a nice razor. :)

6. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

You probably have one of those old choppers for sure. I have restored/owned/honed many of them. They usually make great shavers and have a nice balance one you have used to them. I have seen the as large as 9/8 in size. Usually they have pressed horn scales. If you decide you don't like it, I'll happily take it off your hands.

7. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Hopefully I will be able to get out in the shop and start on it. And finish up several that I have started.