used blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tomnat, May 3, 2011.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

What do you guys do with your used blades? I was just putting them back in their wrappers and throwing them in the garbage, but I'm not so sure that is the most responsible thing to do with them.

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I toss mine in a blade bank, Phil sent me a couple with my orders...

You could make your own out of a soup can, beer can, or just about any can.

[​IMG]

3. tomnat

What do you do with them once your blade bank is full? Do you just throw the whole blade bank away?

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Pretty much, its sealed, so its not going to hurt anyone.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a blade bank or the plastic packs some blades come in.

Check this out.

6. NoahG

NoahG Member

I have the same blade banks from Phil and they work great.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Steel broth can. Slice a thin hole in the middle. Dump the broth out, rinse the can until the water is clean.

Fill up the can with blades, when full toss the whole thing in the steel recycle bin.

Make sure you use only broth cans so that you do not leave any bits in there to rot!

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... I did the same thing. However, I also painted the steel can with rustoleum so it wouldn't be leaving rust rings in the bathroom. I have been using the same can for over 2 years. When it is full, I will tape over the end and then send it to recycling.

9. tomnat

great ideas guys. I think I'm going to go with the broth can special

10. jcwit

jcwit Member

Blade Bank? Empty .22 cartridge box, plastic. Either the 50 round one or the 100 round one.

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Thanks Jeff for mentioning this technique. Like you I use a broth done the same way you suggested. On my second can. When I think I need to get a new one I just ask the "bride" to make one of her wonder beef roasts for dinner and voila, I have a new blade bank. Not only is this a "free" blade bank but I also get a great meal.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've got a Band-Aid tin, lid super-glued shut and a slit cut in the top of it. Also have a Werther's coffee candy tin done the same way. And I've also got a blade slot in the back of medicine cabinet. Love that sound of hearing the blade hit the floor inside the wall. :happy102

13. bc9

bc9 Member

I purchased a small ceramic coin bank at Target for a dollar...

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm thinking on going real Old school on the blade bank. Cutting a slot in the medicine cabinet and letting them fall in behind the wall. :D Old school.

15. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

NOT FUNNY!!!!:eek: I gotta tear the sheet rock out of the bathroom this year and now I am scared.:scared001 No just kidding, but now I will be watching for this. I like the broth can idea. Think I will use this.

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice!

I got the info to do it right here on TSD!

17. Jim1968

Jim1968 New Member

The problem with a ceramic object is if it breaks than it will leave blades everwhere.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We've got one in the house's original john so I wanted to add one to the john in the addition. Didn't work for me, insulation is in the way.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Blade bank.