Trying to decide on first DE rayzor, Merkur 34C HD?, Progress, Futur, other

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James, May 15, 2011.

1. James

James New Member

I'm trying to decide on my first DE rayzor.
    I've read posts and opinions until my eyes have crossed.

These appear to rise to the top, and I welcome your advice, suggestions, and opinions.

The modified Mergress would be the one, except that it is unavailable, and perhaps that's best for me, because several posts say it is not a good one to learn on.

I've seen a few hints toward the Merkur 34C HD as a good learner.
    This combo setup seems decent: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Ultimate-Beginner%27s-Double-Edge-Setup.h

The Techy in me wants the Merkur Progress, or Merkur Futur, or some other adjustable.

I've also seen kind words for: Edwin Jagger De89lbl

Suggestions? Advice?

I'm also searching for a brush with a good balance of quality, at a reasonable cost. If I must spend more because skimping equals regret, then I will.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Are you set against a vintage razor?

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well... you ask 10 of us and you will get 30 opinions. There are a lot of variables involved.

My suggestions...

Low cost razors:
    Weishi TTO - the 9306 models are better, avoid the 2008 and 2003. These tend to be mild and may tempt you to use pressure. With a sharp blade these can be nice. But if you insist on a BBS shave, pass on this one.
    Lord Smart or Lord L6 with the merkur/EJ style head makes an excellent razor. The handle feels cheap, but the head is good - I often use one of these but put a different handle (interchangeable with most 3 piece razors)

Mid price
    EJ89 - another good 3 piece razor. This razor is a touch more aggressive than the Lord Smart or L6 or the vintage techs.
    Merkur razors HD or Slant - I like the slant and didn't mind the HD. For me the HD was just picky with what blade it was paired with. It didn't give me consistent results when I had one. The slant is not as bad and evil a thing as many claim. Just take your time and don't use pressure.

Higher Price - Merkur Progress - Don't over do it on aggressiveness you early times out

Vintage Razors: a NEW, tech, or super speed, thin adjustable, fat boy adjustable, or super adjustable; personally, the superspeed never did anything for me; however, many love them.
    If you want to try SE: 1912 style Gem, G-Bar Gem

That should just about cover many of the opinions.

4. James

James New Member

Thanks!

I am poking for vintage razors on eBay.

I have "saved searches" for a few you've mentioned, and I'll add the new ones from your note.

5. newb

newb Resident Newb

Willing to try vintage start with a classic Gillette Tech or Superspeed. Readily available, very affordable and NEW USER FRIENDLY. You will probably add more razors in the future, but these razors will give you a great start.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

eBay prices keep getting higher and you never know what you are going to get. Keep an eye out at the classifieds here and on other forums. You may get what you are looking for at a much lower price. You can also post a Want to Buy post and someone may have something for you.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Merkur HD razor. That is a good starter. After the practice let the RAD begin :happy102

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Oh, if you are doing eBay searches, you may want to brush up on what the vintage razors actually look like. Many razors are either not labeled or are wrongly labeled. Just a real quick search for fatboy brought up 4 mismarked razors in the first 10 shown.

A good spot to see good examples of the vintage razors is Achim's website

Mr. Razor

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Easily one of the best $10.00 I've spent on shave goods, this razor has provided me with some great shaves.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

Besides reading the reviews in Amazon, this article helped on which I decided to buy for my D/E. Hope it helps.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
    Albert Einstein

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Justin beat me to the punch. But he speaks much wisdom. I snipped most of his post, but please be sure to go back and read it.

Have you read this?

Just buy a razor, any razor, and try it. If you don't like it, sell it here at the Den then go buy another. If you do like, buy another one anyway, just to have :D

12. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

My personal favorite is the Muhle R 89. I know it costs a little bit more than others, but sometimes the saying is true: "You get what you pay for!"

Don't forget that what ever razor you buy, it won't be your last! You will soon begin to build your collection!

Have fun!

13. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

And so the rad begins

14. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I say one of the eighty series EJ's. Why you say? For the cost they are the best fit and finished of any razor in that price range, mild enough to not discourage a newbie, but at the same time can deliver a bbs for a veteran. Also most every vendor carries them so availability is never a concern.

15. James

James New Member

Thanks for all the help, info, and advice!

I've got a Merkur Futur on the way, and I'll continue combing, listing and looking for a few others too.

Thanks! :happy093

16. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never had one but from everything I've ever read about them one thing keeps coming up, Aggressive! Turn it to its lowest setting and use no pressure and take it slowly at first. Keep us informed of your progress.

17. James

James New Member

Thanks for the warning. I was planning on a low setting for sure.
    I'm getting it at a much lower than retail price.

18. swarden43

Aggressive? Only if you crank it up. On 1 it's extremely mild.

My advice:
    Day 1 - start on 1 and do a full shave.
    Day 2 - dial up to 1.5 and do a full shave.
    Day 3 - dial up to 2 and do a full shave.
    Day 4 - dial up to 2.5 and...
    Continue doing that until you hit a day that is just half a notch too much. Back it down and leave it there.

That's how I started with my Futur. Got to 3 and it was just a bit too much. Now I have set at 2.5, maybe 2.75, and leave it there.

Granted, many folks will do their first pass at a higher setting, then drop it down a bit for the following passes. Some even start low for the first pass, then crank it up a bit for each pass following. That's one of the great things about an adjustable - dial it to suit your needs without having to swap razors for each pass.

In my opinion it's a fantastic razor, aggressive or as mild as you want it to be.

19. napoleon

napoleon Member

You may try different razors, but you'll end up with a feather stainless DE:cool:

20. swarden43

Not me at that price.