Robert Becker scuttle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, May 28, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Darwin's were made in England in the 1930s so unless someone lists one for sale on one of the shaving forum threads, the only other place would be eBay.

2. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Thanks. That's a very cool and unique looking razor. What does it compare to shaving? I've found that my favorite shaving razor is the one I got in a PIF. I think it listed it as a 47-50 Super Speed.

I've tried the Slim and FatBoy on different settings, but still prefer the simple Super Speed.

3. IAmTheJody

I've used the Darwin 4 times with the same Voskhod blade and each time has been one of those eye opening shaving experiences. If there ever was a razor that I've had the best shaves from, it's the Darwin. The only problem I have with it is the handle. It causes me "finger fatigue". My fingers start to burn and give out and I have to switch the razor to my left hand for a couple of strokes. I'm right handed. Also, when the handle is wet, it's a slippery booger so I'm constantly drying off the handle after each stroke-rinse I do.

4. IAmTheJody

Adding to this, they don't go cheap. I've seen them go from $150 on up to $500, depending on condition and completeness (case, blade box, etc).

5. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Just did a search on eBay and found one.

Nothing like yours, looks more like a Rolls.

6. IAmTheJody

Yeah, they made a men's DE (Darwin Standard and Darwin Deluxe - same razor, different case), a women's smaller DE (called the Darwin Bijou) and then that long Rolls-type razor set.

7. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Where can his stuff be found?

8. IAmTheJody

The Robert Becker scuttle, and other shaving ceramics he makes, can be found at his eBay store located here.

As for the razors, they will have to be found when listed on eBay or other auction sites as well as any member For Sale listings on the shaving forums.

9. hornm

hornm New Member

Great choice on the scuttle Jody. I've got two of his, one Large and one small as well as the scuttle offered by Straight Razor Designs. Beckers Large is by far the best in my opinion. His small is basically just a brush warmer so it just sits on the shelf but the large gets used probably 80% of the time. I even use it with some ice for cold water shaves in the hot summer months.

Michael

10. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I looked for Becker's stuff on eBay and it's very limited. He's going to stop selling on eBay, but doesn't have his website up and running yet.

I sent him an email and he sent me a Word.doc with pictures of all of his models along with descriptions. Nor sure, but I think you can special order any model in any color combo. I forgot to ask.

I'm going to be ordering me one soon!

11. IAmTheJody

Yes, he'll pretty much make it, color wise, however you want.. and with any features if it's possible for him to do. He'll put your name or initials in it if you ask. Great guy to work with.

12. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

13. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys New Member

I've seen some of his scuttles on EBay, but every time they were gone by the time I made up my mind. This weekend, another one showed up and I jumped on it! Now comes the wait for it to show up.

14. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Which one did you buy?? No picture or link!:(

You can send him an email and special order directly from him. He told me that he was going to stop listing on eBay because it cost so much money in fees.

If anyone wants one, just send him a message through his eBay account. Include your email for him to reply to and he'll send you pictures of all of his styles and prices.

15. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

"You can send him an email and special order directly from him. He told me that he was going to stop listing on eBay because it cost so much money in fees.

If anyone wants one, just send him a message through his eBay account. Include your email for him to reply to and he'll send you pictures of all of his styles and prices."

thanks for the heads up

16. Michaelshane

Michaelshane New Member

He has medical issues and is not making any scuttles.I got an email from him yesterday.

17. NoahG

NoahG Member

I hope he gets better soon. Not to sound uncaring, but there goes my b-day present to myself. He really fills a niche in our community for those of us who want a good scuttle at a reasonable price. I, for one, will wait and see how it goes for Robert before I consider buying from somewhere else.

18. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys New Member

I just got a note from him yesterday saying that mine has been shipped. I also noticed that he has nothing listed in his store now.

19. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I just got an email from him about a week or so ago. No indication of stopping to make them, just going to stop selling on eBay. Sounded like he was tired of the eBay fees.

Hope he gets better soon. I'd like to try one, and he has some good prices.

20. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys New Member

It's here!

Boy, talk about fast! Mine showed up today! Perfect timing for todays shave, and I was in heaven. I never realised how nice warm lather would be. :DI'll have to dig my camera out and take a pic.